1st turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gberger

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 27, 2014
Myrtle Beach ,SC
Looking for help smoking my 1st turkey in an mes 30. Wondering if I should brine or inject and what type of rub. Also what temp and about how long per pound.Going to do a 12-15lb bird.
Thanks for any help!

Greg

Get your MES up to 275°. I wish they would go to 325° 
th_crybaby2.gif
. Oh well you got go with what you have. I normally Brine then inject fallowed by a homemade dry rub or slather.I keep the smoke going the entire time. but I'm a smoke hound. Remember to be patient and smoke to 165° in the breast 170° in the thigh. Keep the door closed. Take notes of you smoke so you know how to do it again or adjust for the next smoke.

Happy smoken.

David

HI Gberger.  Agree with David...cook your bird as hot as that MES will go.  It's hard to get the skin on poultry very crisp in and MES...but other than that it'll be great!  If you really wanted crisp skin, you could finish it in a hot oven (say 350-400*) for the last 30-60 minutes.  Either way just watch your internal temps, and shoot for the target temps David gave you.  You have to be careful not to overcook and dry your bird out.

Like David, I like to brine turkeys.  Here's a link to my favorite poultry brine recipe:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/tips-slaughterhouse-recipes-for-poultry

I don't inject when I've brined a bird.  As far as rubs are concerned,  I like to brush on a mixture of melted garlic butter and EVOO, then dust the bird with lemon pepper, Lawry's seasoned salt, and a little sage (both over and under the skin).

Hope that helps...good luck!  Be sure to post up some qview to let us know how it turns out!  
icon14.gif

Red

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky