1st time with new smoker, and paints flaking????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

McLoven1t562

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 26, 2014
Long Beach, California
Hey guys, I'm hoping this is the right section for this.

I tried to search for my problem, but didn't come across the problem I'm having.

Bought a brand new Master Forge Dual Door from Lowes (New In Box)

and just smoked my first pieces of meat tonight, after coming out to clean out the drip pan and wood box, I noticed some of the paint on the handle peeled off the wood tray and the lid for it.

Just curious, is this common with some of the less expensive smokers? and if so, should I just let it flake off the handles, or go ahead with repainting them with some High Heat Spray Paint.

Thanks ahead of time, and again, I do apologize if I'm just re posting the same question that others have had.

I know my pan looks the same as yours does for the chips. It all bubbled up after using it. Did not bother me as it didn't affect anything it was smoking. I would call the company on the manual and mention it to them and see what they have to say.

I know my pan looks the same as yours does for the chips. It all bubbled up after using it. Did not bother me as it didn't affect anything it was smoking. I would call the company on the manual and mention it to them and see what they have to say.
yea fer sure, sounds like a good idea. I agree with you too, I don't really care if it comes off the metal, so long as the inside of my smoker stays together the way it should, and my racks don't get screwed up.

Just wood chips and water in the bottom half :P

not too bad, it jumped up to 300 when I checked it after like 15 minutes, but I just opened the vents a little more down at the bottom sides, and dropped back to around 250.

Like I said, it'd my first time using it, so I'm not 100% sure.  I'm thinking of investing in an aftermarket thermometer. like the Maverick Dual Thermometer just so I know it's precise. Because I've heard that stock thermo's are notoriously with being off.

Something I would do is to it if I was to buy one is place a 3/8" gasket for a fire place around the door to create a better tight seal. Mine don't leak at door but I think it makes it little better. The electric ones they have out all have seals on them bit not the propane one.

yea that's a good idea Adam, mine leaks a little bit, pretty damn tight for the most part, but can't hurt to seal it up even more :P

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky