1st Time Smoking Suscess With CB Silver Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinsmokeater

Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
I must say I have been blessed by the smoking Gods to be able to go from box to burn and produce what everyone said were great pork ribs on the first try.

I did all the modifications indicated for the CB SS and held my breath as I began my 1st smoking of anything. I placed 5 full racks of ribs on the grate and let her go. The unit preformed well. There is a ton of leaks in the unit around the stack and smoker body hole and around the doors however with minimal effort I maintained 220 degrees. Like a first time papa I babyset the unit and got used to what was needed to provide a steady heat. I also had to rotate the ribs because the 5 racks were kind of overlapping. The unit never got above 250 while adding new coals and only dipped below 200 on a couple of occasions ( I was cooking on what became a very windy day). I found that adding coals and hickory wood at 3 hour periods kept the temp constant. I imagine that the wind was lowering temps and burning my coals faster.

After 6 hours I produced ribs that tasted like smoked ham with BBQ sauce on it. Everyone couldn't believe the taste.

The problem I encountered was a grease hole that allowed grease to be blown by the wind all over my deck. I found that using a small piece of rope knotted on the end to hold it inside the smoker allowed the grease to flow down the rope and into the container. I plan on purchasing a door seal for the main smoker body and possably building a coal basket.

All in all I was a happy Smokin Smokeater

Congratulations on a successful smoke. You will now be expected to produce superb food regularly, because you are now the "BBQ Guy". Feels great doesn't it.
Don't forget those Q-views though.

Congrats on your successful first smoke! Feels great when it all comes together!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Hi,
It sounds like your cook went very well indeed.
icon_razz.gif

I have a similar smoker and am curious about your constant temp control. I have some noobie questions and perhaps you can help.

Do you start the cook with a full chimney of CC?
Do you use a CC basket?
when you add the CC when needed, do you light it first?

If you or anyone else can shed some light it would help very much.

Thanks

Smokin Smokeater I originally built a 12"x12"x12" coal box for my silver smoker but ended up cutting it down to 10" tall to be able to get it in & out of the fire box easier. If I were building another I would go 12" wide x 10" long x 10" high. And you are correct in that they do leak badly but still maintain fairly even temps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky