1st Time Smokin and Eatin Lamb: Not My Last!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

silverwolf636

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 18, 2008
East Ohio, Uhrichsville, Ohio
I don't think I have ever tasted anything so tender... I just can't explain it. No wonder when I went back to get a full leg of lamb they were $45. Being laid off, I didn't get it.
Here's some shots of my first time eatin and smokin Leg of Lamb portion:

--ray--
(0||||0)

Nice looking lamb.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I've never had lamb, either, so I don't know what it's supposed to taste like. What kind of smoke did you put on it?

Actually since I've been laid off (a year ago last Feb) and the wife had a total knee replacement, I've been smokin at the least 5 days a week. Depends if we have any left overs how many times a week. I won't waste food.
I've learned -a lot-. LOL I think if I didn't have that hobby I would've went nuts by now. You can tell things aren't right when I wake up and can't wait for The Doctors, Doc Phil, Opray, Ellen and I can almost carry on a conversation bout the Young & Restless.
--ray--
(0||||0)

I've grilled lamb chops (with my own marinade). I've baked leg of lamb in the oven. I haven't smoked it yet. To me, it's a very light flavored meat, easy to overpower with any seasoning. Not sure, but if I were to do it, I'd try a bit of my maple and some apple.

The thing about lamb is, you either love it or you hate it. Lamb is one of the few things i do not prefer. I have tried so many times too. I really want to like it, i just cant find a way
icon_neutral.gif

Ive heard that theres a fine line between lamb and mutton. That being said, I guess ive never had mutton because ive never had lamb that wasnt excellent.

I love lamb. My Grandmother used to make lamb curry with the leftovers. Heading up to my Mom's this weekend for a roast leg of lamb dinner on Easter.
biggrin.gif
I'll have to try smoking a leg of lamb sometime.

Great Qview Ray!

First time with lamb you say? Just like that you hit it out of the park! Wham bam, fantastic lamb!!

I love lamb....going to smoke some soon!

Thanks for the tasty post...

points.gif

I'm currently unemployed as well and we have to watch the pennies too. A lot of times the grocery stores will have reasonably priced ground lamb next to the more expensive cuts. Lamburgers are great smoked or grilled. I even did a lamb fatty last summer. It had feta, fresh mint, Greek olives, and some other stuff I can't recall on the inside. It was a hit with everyone.

By the way Ray, that looks awesome. The rub looks incredible. Was the rosemary fresh?

Now I'm really surprised at how many of you folks here specially here haven't tried lamb. Now I was raised by a good new york Irish catholic and we had lamb allot too. Now I have never smoked one till this weekend I will now after seeing all this good looking lamb being smoked lately too. Well Ray your lamb looks fabulous and I'm glad we have brought in another brother to the greatness on lamb

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky