1st Time Beef Jerky.....I'm hooked!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokefever

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Martinsburg WV
Hey folks, I just did my first run on some beef jerky. I picked up 5# of Sirloin sliced thin from my butcher. I made a simple marinade using some Dales Seasoning, Kens teriyaki marinade, some kosher salt, table grind black pepper (lots), a little water and some granulated garlic.
I let the beef marinate overnight. Fired up the smoker and got it a little hotter than most people would like.....275 to be exact. I added some water to the water pan and used a mixture of hickory and sugar maple for smoke. It only took a cpl hrs before it was done, which ended up being a blessing in disguise as I had the whole day to work on that honey - do list. Anyhow, here's what it looks like....

Reactions: redheelerdog
Looks-Great.gif

Nice job SF

Thank you everyone! I was always scared to try it out because I've always heard "you have to have a dehydrator." Glad it turned out and wasn't a waste. Will definitely be toying around with some different recipes now

As you noted, 275 is way beyond what most authorities call for (usually in the 160-170 mark).

As the objective is to dry rather than cook your high temp plus use of a water pan suggests you cooked the meat rather than dried it.

It is generally recommended to use cure#1 but your high temp and short cooking time probably removed the need for cure.

How did it taste? Did it taste more cooked than dried? It certainly looks great and, if you are happy with it, it sounds like a way to get jerky in a hurry. 

As you noted, 275 is way beyond what most authorities call for (usually in the 160-170 mark).
As the objective is to dry rather than cook your high temp plus use of a water pan suggests you cooked the meat rather than dried it.
It is generally recommended to use cure#1 but your high temp and short cooking time probably removed the need for cure.
How did it taste? Did it taste more cooked than dried? It certainly looks great and, if you are happy with it, it sounds like a way to get jerky in a hurry. 

The taste is incredible. I personally don't like to have to chew a piece of jerky for 10 minutes before indulging in another piece. There's so much flavor in this batch and also has that nice kiss of smoke on the back end. Once again it was my first time ever making it and I've given alot of this batch out to friends who can't stop talking about it. I'm super thrilled with it and definitely am not going to change much the next go round.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky