1st Pork Butt w/ Q

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

njsmoker83

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
Morris County, New Jersey
Hey guys, doing my first Butt tomorrow morning. Went to the butcher after work and got a 10 pound Bone in Butt. I’m going to do the following let me know what you think:

Friday

1000 pm – Rub Applied

Going to start on Saturday at 500am

Trying for WSM at 250-240

Fat side down

Hickory and Apple Chunks

At 100 degrees spray every hour with apple juice

Foil at 165

Remove at 195-205 towel and cooler for an hour

Then finishing sauce

I am trying to follow the sticky as best as possible.  No injections and no pan.  Never did a smoke this long…. Wish me luck

53d33d05_norub.jpg
4919cdd0_rub.jpg

Well didnt start out so good this morning.  Woke up 430 started chimney at 445.  Meat was on at 515 with smoker at 210.  by 610am smoker was at 270 which is not good  Butt was already at 113.  I dumped all the coals, started from scratch and now at 700am am at 230 smoker and 121 butt.  hopefully this didnt ruin my first attempt.  I knew i put too much lit charcoals in the chimney.  Oh well all I can do now is wait.

That should not have hurt a thing----Smoke On.........................

You're in good shape!

Bear

Thanks for the support.  I am at 3 hours in and smoker at 225 steady (thank God) and the Butt is at 147.  Im a little nervous that it is going way too quick so hopefully it works out well.  Spraying it every half hour with apple juice.

Thanks for the support.  I am at 3 hours in and smoker at 225 steady (thank God) and the Butt is at 147.  Im a little nervous that it is going way too quick so hopefully it works out well.  Spraying it every half hour with apple juice.
My first one I did shot up pretty quick too so don't worry at all, you should be fine if you take it to 205 then let it mellow out for a little while in a cooler like you were planning!  Looking great!!

Sounds like your plan is coming together, nice.  I might suggest keeping your temp probe in while you have butt resting in the cooler and if able, keep in cooler as long as you can.  It really makes a difference allowing the meat to rest longer.  I typically shoot for 2 hours, but have read where other members leave in cooler much longer.  Good luck and it looks like your on your way to the first of many successful butts!  Not sure that came out right, enjoy.

Last edited:
I've not done a huge butt, just little ones that took only about 4-5 hours.

Like LarryM said, stay with IT and you should be good to go and let that

baby rest as long as possible.

James

bought an extra probe at Home Depot while I was picking up some more Cowboy Lump.  Its digital one that you just sick in.  With such a big piece of Pork probably better to check in more than one spot.

looking good..i just did my first butt the other day and i got rushed by a bunch of hungry ppl..i wasnt winning the waiting battle..
jk.gif
... so i had to pull it at 180 and wasnt able to let it rest...so my lesson is learned..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky