1st go at some spare's

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cubguy17

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 29, 2008
Omaha, Nebraska
Here is my 1st try they turned out great. I used Jeff's rub and Jeff's sauce. Smoked with Apple and pecan wood.

These were half the price of BB's and if you ask me just as good.

Looks good.

I haven't seen many spares with that much bend to the bone or meat as on some of them in the pics. I would have guessed BB all day.......shows what I know. LOL

Congrats on your first Q out of the door! Looks like there is going to be some smokin' good times this coming summer.

That looks great
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Very tasty lookin and at spare rib price, quite a deal!

Spares..Not! april fools I bet!

They do look very good, I aint joking!
icon_smile.gif

It's cool Bubba, I just wanted to make sure I read the label right, so what did I smoke??? Like I said this is my first go at it so I don't know. They had a sign next to these that said BB's 3.79 a pound. So what is the normal prices for spare's, and BB's?? What ever they are they were sure good!

whats the price difference around for spares vs baby back ribs in the states.

i've finally come across what looks like a very reasonably priced butcher.
2kgs of spares for $12 aud (much more cheaper than our supermarkets, which are around $9 a kg i think)

sorry off point, the price list im looking at with this butcher ive just found mentions American pork ribs and spare ribs. There is a big price difference with the american ribs at $12.90 per kilo. anyone kno the difference (american vs spare ribs)???

cheers

ps - if anyone interested, heres the butcher price list im looking at
http://www.moreemeat.com.au/ > Click prices on left, then use scrollbar on right

interesting link thanks Chris. cub guy those ribs look great.

In my neck O the woods spares go for 1.49-1.89 a lb depending on what time of year and store. Baby backs/loin backs go for 2.49-5.99 depending on the same variables.

Spares are usually longer boned with less curve in them, and have more meat between the bone.BB's have the cresent curve and have more meat on the outside of the bone !

The babybacks are high on the ribcage near the loins and tenderloins, thats why alot of folks,including me, prefere them over spares, for their tenderness.

The spares are closer to the belly of the hog and the ribs spread out a little more there and are often connected to the brisket bone/sternum.

Hope that helps!
wink.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky