1st Drunken Chicken Qview w/ Extras

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wntrlnd

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 18, 2009
out on the western plain
This was my first attempt at beer can chicken.  Even though I finished her off in the oven, it had several hours of smoking and turned out delicious.

This was my first time using mesquite charcoal. I found this stuff at my local butcher shop.  Lots of really nice big pieces. It made a huge difference.  Longer lasting, more consistent heat than the briquettes I had been using. 

239599b1_IMG_1983.jpg

I like beer, but I rarely drink the stuff.  I didn't know what kind to buy for this chicken deal.  I knew I was going to have to drink a half of the can though.  But I hate drinking a half of a beer, so I bought two so I could have a beer and a half. 

So, I bought a couple of those cans of Fosters Lager.  I drank a can and a half and then I cut the top off the 2nd can and tried to stuff the chicken into the can.  It was only a 4 pound chicken, but I could tell there was just no way I was going to get that whole chicken into that can.

So I walked back to the liquor store and got a can of Miller, the Champagne of Beer.  I didn't have enough for a Budweiser after blowing my allowance on the Fosters.

I also made my first moinks, and a nice fattie.  Both were stuffed with roasted corn, thinly sliced baked potato, roasted red peppers, and three blend cheese.  Instead of Jimmy Dean, I used my local butcher's breakfast sausage.

I ran out of bacon and had to do these moinks au natural:

c2901b30_IMG_1960.jpg

636d8455_IMG_1965.jpg

Here are some nice fatty shots:

I studied that weaving tutorial before I went to sleep last night.  This is what dreams are made of!

58883acd_IMG_1973.jpg

9fe78cc5_IMG_1975.jpg

fe247186_IMG_1980.jpg

Did I mention I did a kielbasa, too?  Well, I did!  Here it is:

08fd78a8_IMG_1971.jpg

here's a last look at that beer can chicken.  right about now i'm gonna dig in! 

3820692c_IMG_1985.jpg

hope you enjoyed the Q view!

Last edited:
Beautiful looking feast there my friend, Doesn't look like your first beer can chicken to me. I like the bit about trying to stuff the chicken into the Fosters, that's a good one. 
biggrin.gif

i was almost looking forward to posting the Q view as much as doing the smoke!  LOL!

thanks for the kind reviews, northern and RdKnB!   very much appreciated!  :)

Last edited:
Q view is awesome, not sure whats better like you said. Cooking, posting pics, or looking at all the pics.

Very nice job. If you go hungry this week, then its your own fault!!!!!

thanks for the Q view feedback, Tom!   much appreciated.

i agree, and Q views really get my creative juices flowing.    

there are so many avenues to explore on this site it makes one's head spin.   it takes a long while to take it all in.

every forum has insanely delicious Q views, and plenty of excellent cooks willing to share their expertise. 

good stuff!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky