1st Chicken: Wings and bacon wrapped breasts Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lucc

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
NJ
I was at my parents beach house and got bored so wanted to smoke, decided to try something different other than the usual ribs, shoulder, loin, etc. I have never tried chicken so I gave it a shot. All pieces were brined for 2 hours, the wings went in around 9:30am and taken off at 11:15am then headed to the grill for some crisping. Half got some BBQ sause and the other got some hot and honey sauce I made using butter, Franks Red Hot, brown sugar, honey and salt/pepper. The breasts and thighs got wrapped in maple honey bacon and smoked for 3.5 hours. Smoked with Kingsford briquettes and cherry wood chunks.

aedd55fc_Gettingready.jpg

19d23204_WingsonGrill.jpg

dca6fd91_Putchickenon.jpg

8cc0a41c_OnSmoker.jpg
41ba6288_Finished.jpg

Last edited:
Looks really good, how were they? I usually smoke chicken at higher temps and it doesn't take quite as long. Bacon/chicken/cherrywood is a great combination. I bet they were awesome.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Quote:
Looks really good, how were they? I usually smoke chicken at higher temps and it doesn't take quite as long. Bacon/chicken/cherrywood is a great combination. I bet they were awesome.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Thanks, they tasted great and everyone thought so too. I will be doing a bunch of wings this week when I'm down there again. The smoker got up to 312 for about 20 minutes then steadily declined until it hit 250 and stayed there the rest of the day. These el cheapos start out hot but I guess when the ash builds up they settle into the 230-250 range.

Love the color.  Looks great
Thanks, speaking of color, everytime I smoke the finished product appears to be a lot darker than most pics shown here for some reason. But the finished product always tastes great and not a hint of burnt meat at all. Anyone know the reason for this? Too high temp maybe?

That is some outstanding looking food coming from yet another Jersey neighbor!!!!!

Nice Job LUCC!!!

Bear

Some breasts get a little darker in the Summer.

As the man says, "It's all good, my friends".

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky