1st Cheese Smoke (w/Q-view)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinsteve

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
Cleveland, OH
Ok....all these posts about smoking cheese are driving me crazy!!!  I decided I had to give it a go myself.  Went to the local grocery store and picked up some "victims"

0e16fed9_DSCF7536.jpg

Clockwise from the left:  Sharp Cheddar, Colby Jack, Mozzarella and Swiss

bc55bb3b_DSCF7539.jpg

Into the MES.  It is a cool 65 degrees here in Cleveland.  I am not plugged in.

a5e8a1db_DSCF7541.jpg

My usual cold-smoking setup.  I decided to use cherry for my first time.  (How appropriate, huh?)

7003aa16_DSCF7542.jpg

I am planning on smoking for 4 hours, turning the blocks over once at the halfway mark.  Other than that, I am just going to let it do it's thing
grilling_smilie.gif
.  I welcome any comments.  I will keep everybody informed of the progress!

Set up looks great man. Looking forward to seeing the finished product

Here we are about halfway through.  The blocks have just been flipped.  I haven't noticed very much of a color change at all.  Is this normal for this part of the smoke?  A lot of the other posts show the cheese a light golden brown.  Am I doing something wrong?  Or is this just the way it is at this point?

edd7a459_DSCF7544.jpg

And....DONE!  Here they are out of the smoker.  They were in for just over 4 hours.

d76c02e8_DSCF7549.jpg

All packaged and ready for their nap :-)

0c4957aa_DSCF7552.jpg

Color Comparison

515ca70c_DSCF7554.jpg

That's it!  I welcome your comments.  Now...the dreaded fortnight of waiting :-(

Nice! just finished a cheese smoke myself. You can definitely see the color difference by comparing the finished product to your pic of the cheese in the MES prior to the smoke. Before I had my AMNPS I tried the soldering iron set up but I fried in about 20 minutes. Glad to see yours works.

Looks Pretty Cheesy, Steve!!!  
biggrin.gif

LOL just kidding-------Looks Great !!!

I guess you got to answer your own question (post #3)---Yes it takes awhile for the color to change enough to be noticed, but it eventually gets there.

Nice Job,

bear

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.  I can't wait to taste it (in a few weeks!)

On that note....what type of wine (or beer for that matter) goes best with smoked cheese?  I am thinking a full-bodied red since it has to stand up against the smoke flavor, but that is just a guess.....  Anyone want to give some advice?  Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.  I can't wait to taste it (in a few weeks!)

On that note....what type of wine (or beer for that matter) goes best with smoked cheese?   I am thinking a full-bodied red since it has to stand up against the smoke flavor, but that is just a guess.....  Anyone want to give some advice?  Thanks!
That would be my choice too, but I'm not as well versed on wines as many are.

I am a beer lover (almost all I drank all of my life), but I don't think beer goes with cheese as well as most wines.

Bear

I guess tomorrow is going to be wine and cheese with Mrs!  Can't wait to taste it :-)

I did some reading...Zinfandel's and other big reds go well with smoked cheese.  As far as beer goes, you also want something that can stand up to the smoke....Porters and Stouts.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky