1st Canadian Bacon using Pop's brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jaxrmrjmr

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 21, 2013
Jacksonville, FL
First pork loin using Pop's brine for 9 days.  I added 1 T garlic powder, 1 T onion powder, and a full cup of sea salt.  I thought it was a little salty and that the garlic and onion were a little too strong.  I soaked in clean water for a day.  Then removed and put on a rack in the fridge for a day to dry.  2nd test fry was much better, IMO.  Here we go.....

No flame on the smoker - just apple pellets in the 12" AMNTS.

Nice smoke and temp was 110.

5 1/2 hrs of cold apple smoke, then lit the burner and took it to 180.

Hard to get a descent picture with where the sun is, but taking on a nice color.

It took a while, but finally pulled them at 156.  I have some young ones in the house, as well as, my daughter-in-law being pregnant, so I went with a higher finish temp until I'm more comfortable that I am doing things correctly.  Off to be wrapped and let them rest for a day or two.  Will post some pics of them being sliced later on.  Thanks for the help guys!

Picture after one day of mellowing.  I'm going to try and leave it wrapped up for a another day or two, but the kids have already tasted it.  I might have to slice it up and get it in the freezer just so there will be some left!

Firm texture but very moist - even taken to 156 IT.  Really good stuff!  So glad I tried it.

Last edited:
Looking good already!!!

Bear
I had read a few threads on making Canadian bacon, but yours was the straw that broke the camel's back and made me have to try it.  The wife says "thank you" as she really liked the second test fry.  We went grocery shopping today and she picked up some Hollandaise sauce and English muffins for eggs Benedict.

Looks very nice.

I am waiting for loins to go on sale to do some cb.

5 1/2 hrs at 110.

2 hrs at 180 - 190.

over an hr at 235.

IT is still 138.  Is there a "stall" with pork loins?

Last edited:
5 1/2 hrs at 110.

2 hrs at 180 - 190.

over an hr at 235.

IT is still 138.  Is there a "stall" with pork loins?

Shouldn't be at that temp---Sometimes it just takes awhile. Were you peeking a lot??
biggrin.gif

Bear

Great looking bacon. I am trying Pop's brine for the first time. Your post encourages me.

Disco

How did it turn out?
Really good.  I kept updating my original post with new pictures.  Can't believe they get $9/lbs for it in the store when I can buy pork loin for the low $2/lbs.  I was regretting using the garlic and onion powders during my test fries, but after it is smoked and rested, I am glad I did.
Great looking bacon. I am trying Pop's brine for the first time. Your post encourages me.

Disco
Thanks!  Go for it, man.  The waiting is the hardest part, otherwise, it's a pretty simple process.  I pulled mine at an IT of 156 and it is good for snacking as is.  I will pull some closer to 140 - 145 next time for cooking with eggs.

Excellent CB!  Thank you so much for trying the curing brine!  You can adjust the ingredients also; cut down the salt, etc.Great job!

Looks great!

CB is one of my favorites!  Sliced up in the freezer 3 or 4 slices to a vacuum bag, take out a couple bags every week.  Makes for a great breakfast.  I've made it several times now with varied recipes, and have never had it turn out bad....smoked cured meat...almost can't go wrong!

I've missed out on it for the last couple months due to working in Europe and not having my equipment here.  It all in the freezer back home. 

My next endeaver is going to be Buck Board Bacon......only 4 more weeks until I get home and can start it!!

Enjoy it, and try not to share too much (keep it for yourself)

Thanks!  Go for it, man.  The waiting is the hardest part, otherwise, it's a pretty simple process.  I pulled mine at an IT of 156 and it is good for snacking as is.   I will pull some closer to 140 - 145 next time for cooking with eggs.
Jax,

You don't have to wait until 156* to be able to eat as is. In May of 2011, the USDA changed their safe temp for whole Pork from 160* to 145*.

Smoke it to 145*, and you can eat it cold or just warm it up a bit before eating. Then you don't have to worry about frying it to 145* and burning it.

Bear

Sugar covers or masks the taste of salt some so on your next batch if you reduce your salt do the same reduction % to your sugar. My opinion is that ham or CB is best when it sets up in the fridge for a day for the texture and flavor.

Your CB has great color and looks fantastic!

Looks-Great.gif

Excellent CB!  Thank you so much for trying the curing brine!  You can adjust the ingredients also; cut down the salt, etc.Great job!
Thanks for sharing your recipe.  Super simple.  Hopefully, more people will try it.  My first test fry was an end piece.  It was too salty and tasted too much like the garlic and onion.  Then I soaked it in fresh water for a day and the end result very much suited my family's taste.

I thought about decreasing the amount of salt and seasonings, but now that I think about it I might keep the same process.  I figure the salt and seasoning would be the strongest in the outer layers but still work it's way to the middle.  By soaking it in fresh water, I think I pulled that strong flavor out of the outer layers but left the flavors in the middle.  Hope that makes sense.

I almost had to rip the middle son's ears off as he ate a full two inches of it last night once I went to bed!  Wink, wink, I'm glad he liked it.

Looks great!

CB is one of my favorites!  Sliced up in the freezer 3 or 4 slices to a vacuum bag, take out a couple bags every week.  Makes for a great breakfast.  I've made it several times now with varied recipes, and have never had it turn out bad....smoked cured meat...almost can't go wrong!

I've missed out on it for the last couple months due to working in Europe and not having my equipment here.  It all in the freezer back home. 

My next endeaver is going to be Buck Board Bacon......only 4 more weeks until I get home and can start it!!

Enjoy it, and try not to share too much (keep it for yourself)
Get back and get to it.  Will be looking forward to watching.
Jax,

You don't have to wait until 156* to be able to eat as is. In May of 2011, the USDA changed their safe temp for whole Pork from 160* to 145*.

Smoke it to 145*, and you can eat it cold or just warm it up a bit before eating. Then you don't have to worry about frying it to 145* and burning it.

Bear
I had seen posts about it while I was researching CB, but decided to error on the side of caution as I have young ones and a pregnant one in the house.  This was my first time to boot.  Also, the wife looked at me a little cross-eyed when I told her it had to sit in the frig for 9-10 days.  Gotta build confidence.  My loin was about 7 lbs and cut into thirds.  When I pulled it off the smoker, I handed one to the Mrs and she said it felt like a brick.  What is the texture like at 145? 
Sugar covers or masks the taste of salt some so on your next batch if you reduce your salt do the same reduction % to your sugar. My opinion is that ham or CB is best when it sets up in the fridge for a day for the texture and flavor.

Your CB has great color and looks fantastic!

Looks-Great.gif
Thanks.  I think the only thing I will change next time is to add molasses or honey.

Thanks to all for your help, advise, and comments.  Thanks for looking.

I had seen posts about it while I was researching CB, but decided to error on the side of caution as I have young ones and a pregnant one in the house.  This was my first time to boot.  Also, the wife looked at me a little cross-eyed when I told her it had to sit in the frig for 9-10 days.  Gotta build confidence.  My loin was about 7 lbs and cut into thirds.  When I pulled it off the smoker, I handed one to the Mrs and she said it felt like a brick.  What is the texture like at 145? 

Thanks.  I think the only thing I will change next time is to add molasses or honey.
If the USDA  says 145* is safe, it is. 

We used to take them to 160*, because they said 160* was the safe temp.

They were very dry, but 145* is Perfect !!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky