1st butt question hope I didnt screw it up

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

racincowboy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
Happy Valley Or
I have two butts on and I had a heat issue part way through and a sleep issue so to speak. Here is how it went down. Put butts on at 11pm and tended them until 330 am. Around 6am I woke up to an alarm from my et732 I looked and the smoker temp was down to 160 and the butt IT temp was 136 and it was at 146 when I went to bed.

So my question is food safety wise should this be ok?

I am planning on taking these to 165 then double foil to 205 for pulled pork.

I am hoping that I instituted my own kind of artifical stall. But I want to hear from the experts.

Thanks
Lance

P.S. I will have to see if I can steal the wifes I phone. Anyone know how to post Q view pics from an I phone?

I an no expert, but I think you are OK. You got the internal temp to 140 within 4 hours. How long did it take to get it back up to 140?

you should be okay from my understanding. I used to work with a registered dietitian and he always stressed food safety. Of course a lot depends on how long it was below 140, but I believe as long as you cook it fully you're in the clear. 

Technically, you made it through the danger zone to 140* + in the four hour window.  But I've never seen any info on dropping back INTO the danger zone after that.... hmmmm. 
PDT_Armataz_01_03.gif
  I guess that technically means you should toss the buggers. 

Here's the qualifier, and it's ONLY my humble thoughts on the matter -- not a recommendation:
  1. they only dropped 4* below the danger zone after they spent a fair amount of time above the danger zone
  2. those butts were probably not back in the danger zone for long
  3. you're planning on taking them to 205*, which would likely sort out any issues that may have developed
Assuming your food handling protocol prior to smoking is appropriate, I personally would finish them and consume them, especially if those butts were brined first (killing surface bugs with salt & further reducing chances of spoilage).  That is a risk I personally would be willing to take under the circumstances you describe; however, I would not serve this to anyone else until I had experimented on myself.  Others on this site might think I'm nuts for even considering this.

Ultimately, it's your call.  The cost of a couple of butts weighed against making anyone sick (including yourself) is tiny next to the cost of getting sick.  If you're not comfortable with it, toss them.  Lesson learned.

I was under the impression that the 40-140 in 4 hours went both ways. You have 4 hours to get over 140 and then once is goes back down below 140 you have 4 hours to get it back over 140 or under 40. Hopefully someone can confirm or deny this statement.

I an no expert, but I think you are OK. You got the internal temp to 140 within 4 hours. How long did it take to get it back up to 140?
It only took about 1hr and a half to be back over 140. So I guess I will do some more research and if in doubt too much then we will toss em and start over. And make it a lesson learned.

Last edited:
I am going to take these to 210 in foil and give it a try I think being in foil and over 205 degrees Internal temp should be ok and take care of anything caused by my downward heat spiral. So I will give it a go and see what happens. Thanks for all the help guys and gals

I would not toss them. If you passed the 140 mark in 4 hours then dropped below for less than 4 hours, then took it to 205 I think you are alright. I guess to be really safe I would have my best buddy taste it & if he wasn't barfing in a couple of hours I think it's gonna be good!  
icon_mrgreen.gif

"I was under the impression that the 40-140 in 4 hours went both ways. You have 4 hours to get over 140 and then once is goes back down below 140 you have 4 hours to get it back over 140 or under 40."

I agree, I just wouldn't push the limits to far past this. I have before and was fine though.

I would not toss them. If you passed the 140 mark in 4 hours then dropped below for less than 4 hours, then took it to 205 I think you are alright. I guess to be really safe I would have my best buddy taste it & if he wasn't barfing in a couple of hours I think it's gonna be good!  
icon_mrgreen.gif
I agree with Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky