1st Butt...but???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

speedway73

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Dahlonega,GA.
What is the optimum internal temp to shoot for on a 6.75 Lb bone-in-butt?? Foil...no foil...when 2 foil?? Smoke the whole way thru or just at the beginning?? I started off in the ECB w/Kingsford Blue & Cowboy....smoked w/a combo of Hickory,Apple,Maple and Cherry CHIPS. I'll end up finishing up in a Brinkmann Electric water kettle.

Any thoughts??

Like Piney said, the thread will lead you in the right direction.
Foil, no foil, this and that are things to get into once you have gotten comfortable with the standard butt smoke.
Prepare to hit a plateau at some point, don't increase temp and don't worry about it, even if it takes 2 hours to get through.
Foiling your first time is a good idea at 160-165, and if you do happen to need to finish in the oven (naughty 4 letter word) it will be fine.
Just make sure to spritz every hour after your first hour, add spritzing juices when you foil, bring to 205, enjoy the pp sammie and post some Qview
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I'm preparing a new basket of fire as we speak. I'm at 161* right now....but never spritzed at all.

I should foil at 165*...add juices... and take to 205* ??

Once @ 205*....do I wrap it in a towel and hit the cooler??

I think I got the jist of it....just my 1st time with a butt.

Thanks all!!

I would foil at 165 add a little juice. Take to 200-205 then wrap the foiled butt with a towel and into a warm dry cooler for at least 1 hour

You could foil even now as long as it is at or over 160, if you have any apple juice I would pour just a little in the foil so that it will baste better and yes, bring to 205 then pull, wrap in a towel and let sit at least an hour or up to 6 hours in a coler or turned off oven, then reserve the juices, shred. Refrigerate juices if you depending on the amount of fat and if you want to skim it.
Then either serve with some of the juices added back in and some finishing sauce or toss in the fridge until you you are ready to serve and reheat low and slow.

These two guys will lead you in the right direction. Their that good. I follow what they say alot.

Gentelmen...I thank you. I read the link....I can do this. My fresh basket of fire is ready...gonna change it out.

Will Q-view in the mornin'.

You guys R the best.

I thanks U!!

Roger

Hey Speedway, that is a loaded question you have there. Let me see if I can break it down for you.

The internal temp depends on how you want to serve it.

If you are slicing, then you will want an internal temp of about 175.

If you are going to pull it, then you will want to baste and foil it at around 160 and continue cooking until you reach an internal temp of 195 - 200.

Foiling is a personal preference. the difference between foiling and non foiling is the texture of the outer crust (bark).

Foiled meat tends to be softer and less dry on the outer edges whereas unfoiled meat tends to be a little dryer and chewier on the outside....as already stated, it is a personal preference.

There is no right or wrong way to do it....I suggest you try foiled and unfoiled and see which you prefer

As for how long to smoke, the rule of thumb is to smoke until the internal temp reaches 140 as not much smoke will penetrate after that...again, this is a rule of thumb and opinions vary widely on this matter as well.

Regardless of how you smoke it, remember to wrap your meat in a towel and place inside an insulated cooler and rest your meat prior to serving as the meat needs time to rest (allows the juices to redistribute through the meat).

Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you...and remember, we live vicariously through the qviews of our fellow members!
icon_mrgreen.gif

LOL.... you guys are fast, there was not a single post when I started typing my response and now there are a dozen.... I think you have all the info and inut you need to succeed Speedway!

Thanks guys!! I'm absorbing as much of this info as possible. I'm currently at 163*.

Gonna pull @ 170* and foil.

Wife wanted to use it as pulled poke for sammies...who am I to disagree??

I'm not a big fan of pulled poke...but w/the rite buns and rite sauce....I'm in.

While I'm at it...I wanna smoke some Tilapia....smoked fish style. Meet me over in the fish forum??

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky