1st batch

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meat~smoker in n.j.

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
south river,
hey guys, i`m new here , got my new smoker goin with 3-slabs of ribs on sunday !!! i did a rub with paprika, meat tenderizer & mesquite mix rub ,, i used mesquite & oak wood mix ...kept it @ 200- 230 degrees for 6-hrs it was pretty good a little bit well done it got better the next day...i warmed it up some in the toaster oven & had a brown ale that i made to go with it !! o by the way my brown is 7.5%alc.. the flavor blended real well ....
any tips on how to keep it from getting well done ??

Everything sounds ok. Were they spare ribs or baby backs? If they were baby backs you might have cooked them a little long. Spare ribs I can cook in 5 hours, baby backs a little less.

A lot of guys will wrap their ribs in aluminum foil after 3 hours and let them cook for 2 hours like that. It traps the moisture in and makes the meat very juicy. The last hour you take them back out of the foil and cook them "naked". That last hour would be when you wanted to add a glaze or sauce if you are using one. This is called the 3-2-1 method for cooking ribs. 3 hours naked - 2 hours foiled - 1 hour naked.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky