17lb Briskets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MeltedHand

Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
So guys I've seen this answered a bunch on here but I'm doing 2 17 lb monsters this weekend in the DynaGlo. Im pretty excited as I just did one a couple days ago that people were very happy with. I noticed it was rather dry though. I went to 190 IT then it started losing temp? Idk what happened but I made a judgment call and it came out okay in the end. So I'm looking to be done by 7pm and starting at 2am with a grate temp of 250-270F. Does this sound correct? I'm not trying to go hot and fast but I know I have to pump the heat to get things done. Picture is of the one from a couple days ago I started at 6am finished at 730pm with grate temps around 225-250
FB_IMG_1607525531502.jpg
FB_IMG_1607525537878.jpg
FB_IMG_1607525531502.jpg

I think each brisket has its own timing. I cooked 2 @ 17lbs on my WSM a few weeks ago, 250 grate temp (measured with a Signals controller), with a 30-40 degree ambient temp, in about 15 hours.
I always err on the side of caution and try and factor in 1/hr/lb + 3 hours. Briskets are astonishingly easy to hold for half a day, and exceedingly hard to speed up to feed guests. I think your timing is good.

Edit to add: I'm also convinced there's a baby stall at 190 when cooking 225-250. It happens to me a lot even with prime packers.

Last edited:
Reactions: MeltedHand
I think each brisket has its own timing. I cooked 2 @ 17lbs on my WSM a few weeks ago, 250 grate temp (measured with a Signals controller), with a 30-40 degree ambient temp, in about 15 hours.
I always err on the side of caution and try and factor in 1/hr/lb + 3 hours. Briskets are astonishingly easy to hold for half a day, and exceedingly hard to speed up to feed guests. I think your timing is good.

Edit to add: I'm also convinced there's a baby stall at 190 when cooking 225-250. It happens to me a lot even with prime packers.
I appreciate the response. Yeah I think worse come to worse I'm gonna double wrap in aluminum foil around 12-2pm I'm certain ill be full stall around then. Sadly I live in a place that does not get USDA often so I have to try other countries like Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Brazil. Luckily South Africa is the picture above and it came out quite decent. And they have a Wagyu one that I'm gonna test this weekend! For about $60 I think is the translated cost. Ironically the Australian Grainfed was more expensive at about $75 i think. But these are sadly the prices I pay haha. Im thinking the Wagyu will turn out better.
And I totally agree with you about a small hold at 190. I've been noticing it but hopefully I can make it to 205. I still want slices but unbelievable tender haha

So I dont have photos BUT...the Wagyu came out pure magic! And surprisingly in about 14 hours I think with a wrap. The other one was dry sadly but ultimately I'd say it was a huge success. This is maybe my 3rd brisket and to take on such a big one and nail it decently I'm super happy

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky