150 gallon smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

billitronix

Original poster
Dec 17, 2014
I've had this tank for a while and decided to build a smoker just not sure to make a direct flow or a reverse flow. What are the pros and cons. Any info would be appreciated.

1/4" is a good standard, it's a rough life inside a firebox and it can rust out if you don't take good care of it. Depends on what you have access to and if you can get more. If you can only get 1/8 and don't mind replacing it every so often, it's not a problem, its just that it will tend to warp with the heat when you get it rolling.

The RF plate should also be as thick as you can get it, it provides a thermal mass that keeps the temperatures steady. I wouldn't go less than 3/16. Mine is 3/8.....

One thing I have noticed is that there is rust inside of the tank. What can I use to remove it? I've already hit it with a wire wheel and there is a little left in the tank.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky