13# Brisket w/ Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

golfnotwork

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 9, 2008
Clements, MD
I was having some family and friends over on Saturday afternoon, so I decided to smoke a brisket. Bought a 13 # hunk of meat Friday afternoon, rubbed it down, let it sit at room temp for about an hour, and put it on the smoker at 9:00 pm. Had soaked hickory chips, chunks, and a couple of hardwood charcoal lumps. I checked on it every now and then until adding more hickory chunks at midnight and calling it a night. At 11:00 am the next morning, the flat finally hit 165 deg. The point was about 180 and I foiled the whole thing. I pulled it off at 1:30 pm with the point at 205 deg and the flat at 190 deg. Is this temp differential normal? I sliced the flat, pulled the point, and served with Jeff's BBQ sauce. It was a big hit. Before this, I went with the sliced, but I may have to change my vote. That pulled brisket was mighty tasty. It had a good bark, but was a tad bit drier than when I just smoke a flat. Maybe need to foil a little sooner? Here are some pix:

Before the rub.

After the rub.

In the smoker.

TBS. I played with the settings on my dig camera. These 2 smoker pix were taken about 15 min apart, though this one was with the camera set to night mode.

After 14 hrs and ready for foil.

2 hrs later and ready to be wrapped.

Pulled and sliced.

Looks awesome nice job
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

That will help if you are having a problem with it drying out.
wink.gif

And yeah, the temp diff between the flat and the point is normal. Most (but not all) go by the temp in the flat as the guide. Don't worry about the point, you ain't going to ruin that.

Nice job!

Next time you cook a brisket, after it's cooked and cooled down separate the point from the flat before slicing.

The point and flat don't butt up to one another they overlap and are connected by a layer of fat.

You can take a spatula(wood or plastic) and work it into the fat layer and separate the 2 pretty easily.

Use a jabbing motion to work through the fat layer from all sides and you will feel the point starting to separate.

This will allow you to have more sliced flat.
The flat under the point is the best!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky