120gal build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

titch--

Original poster
Aug 8, 2021
Hello smoker enthusiasts! New guy here. As you can tell with this post Im looking at building a RF Smoker and thought I should start my slow azz build thread so that if I had any questions, which I will and do already. This would be the spot to ask em. :)

Ive had the 120gal tank in my backyard for a couple years now and Im not going to lie, Ive already cut into this tank recently. I cut out my door and FB to CC opening already. Went pretty good so far, but one thing that concerns me is now I might of cut my FB/CC opening to big.

Before I found this place I played around with that other calculator thats talked about here, but not used because it sounds like its not ideal for a RF smoker builds. But now Im playing around with the "Reverse Flow Smoker... How to calculate build tutorial..." which you guys recommend.

Ive been reading a couple other builds with 120gal tanks here already and mostly copying off of. Woody and I think Rex is the other build.

120gal - 27720 cu/in
FB - 9147.6 min
FB/CC opening - 110.88
under RF plate - 110.88
end of RF plate - 110.88
stack (with collector) - 609.84 (was thinking 5" x 36") confused on how to calculate that right now
FB air inlets - 27.72 was doing 3 x 7 x2 on sides, but now going with ovals top/bottom of FB door

circle calc.png

fd5975a8-572c-40e3-8278-dc3f26c15ae7.jpg

FB 28w x 20h x 20d OD 11200 cu/in (what Im looking at right now)
FB/CC opening approx 26 x 8 149.81 (cut out already)

Anything look way out to lunch here so far?

So this is where Im currently at right now. The concern being my FB/CC inlet. I think if I had to, I could cut off a inch or two from the peice I already cut off and weld it back onto the tank or do I just adjust everything now to approx 149.81? Cause I see woody's numbers for this is 24.458 x 6.454

thanks a bunches
cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: kruizer
Welcome to SMF!
Check this out!
Al

Hey guys thanks for the replys

Thanks for the link but Ive been through the threads and I still have a question.

According to tutorial my FB to CC opening should be about 110 cu in, but with me prematurely cutting mine to 149. Now Im just wondering if I just keep on going with the 149 for under my RF plate and the opening at the end of the RF plate or is it just easier to cut some off the piece Ive already cut out and weld it back onto the tank so Im more closer to 110?

cheers

Good morning, titch and welcome from North Carolina. Where are you at?

As I understand things the size of the firebox to cook chamber opening generated through the calculator is a minimum size recommendation. I'm unaware of a larger opening causing issues but the lower exit velocity may be an issue or may not be so hopefully someone better versed than me comes along to address the concern.

Good luck and best regards,

Hey Lance thanks for the reply

Im up in Canada

That min size recommendation sounds like good news. :) Hopefully some others will chime in.

I know if I cut 1" off the cut off piece the opening would put me around 124 sq in and cutting 1.5" would drop me down 111.74. I dont think Im in a hurry now since the guy thats going to cut everything for me on his plasma table is a farmer and looks like hes very busy now, so I might not be getting this done this year now. :(

cheers

Last edited:
That was just a semi-educated guess but the 120 gallon tank surely falls into the "short and fat" category and likely would work well with a smaller opening than the calculator would indicate so perhaps a private message to Dave Omak would get some info as to whether the opening should be adjusted.

Best regards,

Short and Fat, I remember reading about that. Thanks for reminding me

cheers

Thought I would update this some, since I got some more work done since last post. I didnt get anything more done last year and was to busy to start it back up again in the spring, but shes getting worked on now!

The firebox is ALOT of work. lol
I started with the outside then cut some wood the right size for 1" flat bar as the cap/cover for the Rockwool fire resistant board.
Firebox outter.jpg

6e4ddd8c-25d7-41fb-b813-65efd0ab59d1.jpg

813d0d0a-5a9f-4341-b96c-a5f99c529b2a.jpg

514fe6cb-a534-409b-89fc-4816369aa654.jpg

81bc0f3c-18bd-4b5f-acf7-dd04415bd364.jpg

I think that the firebox might be the hardest part to this whole build. I sure hope so anyways. lol

Well thats all in closed. :emoji_thumbsup:

Last edited:
After that was done I wanted to get that attached to the tank but before I could do that I wanted to get the wheels on it. This is what I came up with.

67b307ff-234a-4233-bab9-e78175f6a79b.jpg

I had an idea in my head and went to the place where I get some metal from and came up with this.

3/4 rod with 1" angle iron and 1" flat bar to make it snug inside of 1.5" square tubbing.
a44d3e25-f542-4885-ac5e-49714c0969be.jpg

d0491590-ffa8-4cb2-8c1b-1a6909727f82.jpg

96b14a1d-9e54-4259-aa58-5a5cf9dfeb73.jpg

Then attached to the firebox
33822ba7-cd36-4d1e-ace2-4c0dd4968106.jpg

Now shes got wheels where I can roll it around because its getting heavy and hard to move by myself. :emoji_grinning:

Really nice work.. looks great...

So the top of the firebox is insulated as well ? I like to preheat my next splits going in... Does seem to help ignite them faster..

Next was to get the firebox attached to the tank. Im trying to get it to the point where all my wheels are on it so I can move it around where ever I need it, cause sometimes its in the way. I dont have much room here.

With some blocks and a jack, I got it to where I needed it. I had a bit of grinding to do on the tank so I had to fit it up to the tank and pull it away a few times until I was happy with how they fit together. PITA really. lol

19cbb9dc-0aa4-4f6e-815f-9c8e93d68dbf.jpg

Later in the day I had a friend over to help me which made life easier for sure. Once I was happy with the fitment of the 2 I tacked them together with a few extra welds and we tipped it up on the firebox with the tank up so I could weld the bottom and the inside. It helped alot.

a01b434b-47ee-4ea4-a013-a3ea4ee1e6b1.jpg

92a8de73-e4a1-4b8a-a917-9cb3491b9186.jpg

1acb23a1-c5d7-4f49-87de-cbf413b72323.jpg

Thats where I'm at today.

Last edited:
Thanks guys

Yes the top is insulated as well. Right now the only thing that aint is the door, but Im thinking of doubling it up to add some extra thickness.

Heres a pic where I was adding the rockwool and covering it up with the 1" flatbar.
90c3c690-21f5-4c41-9a29-37ead40ad93e.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks man. Only been doing it for a year now and youtube is my teacher. lol

My confidence in welding really went up ALOT yesterday when I tacked the firebox to the tank and added a few stiches of weld before I took away the jack for the firebox and we tipped the tank and box up on their side. I can see the welds burning in when Im welding but wasnt that confident that it was good enough. Until yesterday. :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

I have the smoker right side up and level now. :emoji_thumbsup:

2dc62188-f7f4-4dd1-ac57-8f45eb975d4a.jpg

Started on the front axle and pretty much have it done now, but ran out of wire so Ill have to finish that later.

Now that its sitting upright I had a chance to do some measurements and get a GOOD idea on the frame and steering. Im pretty sure it will be rolling around the yard this weekend.

I was showing my buddy my firebox door and took a few pics so I thought I would put them up.
4abe6075-7339-4e21-952c-b23e4f69873b.jpg

Should have more pics coming this weekend. cheers 🍻

thanks

Starting to get pretty excited now!

Only thing that worries me a little, is the stack. Cant seem to grasp figuring that out. I picked up a 6"dia 42"long stack. I got the idea for Woody, he has the same kind of build as me. And the other thing I dont know about is painting. Well really priming, just dont know if its required or not???

Other then at I think I got it all worked out, I believe. heh

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky