Event (PICTURES ADDED) 11th Annual South Florida Gathering - December 2-4, 2022

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey Everyone!
We've decided to host the 11th annual gathering the weekend of December 2-4, 2022 this year! The normal weekend in November that we usually booked has filled up.

The gathering will be at Highland Hammock State Park in Sebring, FL. Feel free to come, go and camp as much as you want. Our main day is Saturday the 3rd where we generally cook, eat, drink and play games all day! No planned meals on this day as we normally just cook and eat all day. Some people come the entire weekend and some just come for saturday. There are hotels that can be booked nearby as well.

We'll discuss having a friendly rib competition and other competitions that we've done in the past shortly. As always, check back to this post on Page 1 for updates, i'll be updating this post as details and campsites are booked.

If you book a site, please let us know where and i'll add that to here. If you look at the map on the booking site we generally around Site 80-83 and we'll have a gathering site where we set up tents for meals, games and much more

Attendees and Site
78 fxsales1959 fxsales1959
79 Discus39 Discus39
80 floridasteve floridasteve
81 dougmays dougmays
82 orlandosmoking orlandosmoking
83 orlandosmoking orlandosmoking
86 orlandosmoking orlandosmoking
87 orlandosmoking orlandosmoking
88 (Main Gathering Site) JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07
89 JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07

Activities
Snack Stick Making?
Cold Smoking Cheese?

Competition(s)
Friendly Rib Cook Off
  • No KCBS or FBA judging, no categories...just "favorite rib".
  • Judges might be internal (friends and family) or neighboring campers
  • Any Pork or Beef Rib will do
  • We'll set a turn-in time but we can be flexible
Cocktail Comp? We did this once in the past, just throwing the idea out there

Supplies needed
  • Paper Plates
  • Plasticware ( dougmays dougmays )
  • Napkins and/or paper towels
  • Vacuum sealers
  • Vac seal bags
  • ziplocks
  • Firewood (for nightly bonfire)
  • Extra Ice

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 10.39.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 10.39.46 AM.png
    36 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Hey Everyone!
We've decided to host the 11th annual gathering the weekend of December 2-4, 2022 this year! The normal weekend in November that we usually booked has filled up.

The gathering will be at Highland Hammock State Park in Sebring, FL. Feel free to come, go and camp as much as you want. Our main day is Saturday the 3rd where we generally cook, eat, drink and play games all day! No planned meals on this day as we normally just cook and eat all day. Some people come the entire weekend and some just come for saturday. There are hotels that can be booked nearby as well.

We'll discuss having a friendly rib competition and other competitions that we've done in the past shortly. As always, check back to this post on Page 1 for updates, i'll be updating this post as details and campsites are booked.

If you book a site, please let us know where and i'll add that to here. If you look at the map on the booking site we generally around Site 80-83 and we'll have a gathering site where we set up tents for meals, games and much more

More details to come......

Looking forward to another great year
Hey Y'all,
I've been absent lately since my company opened the travel gates for business and I've been traveling extensively. When i replied i noted that "mama don't camp". A couple weeks later I presented to her an executed bill of sale for a 24' toy hauler travel trailer..
A little extreme compared to another new smoker, but shit happens. So I was thinking, since these parks don't allow ATV's , my Masterbuilt gravity feed might fasten down right where my Suzuki Quad runner would go... I haven't investigated reservations, so do you pick a spot or do you get assigned? I'll probably bring couple slabs of ribs to smoke on Saturday. ( just for shits and giggles)
Any tips appreciated. it's a 3 hour haul so we'd like to be close to the crowd, if possible.
thansk for any tips.
john

hey John.. would be great to have ya... I just looked at available sites and #137 is the only one close that's still available for that weekend... The Gathering site is #88 ....

The State Parks reservation process kinda sucks... After you click on search for the dates selected... choose ''loop elec'' reservations for RV or tent ... Site #137 should have a green circle around it...let us know if you have any problems ? Hopefully we will get to meet ya'll ...

hey Discus... As Doug said... good to have ya back...

Getting closer every day... Which means cooler weather is coming... Can't wait

We look forward to being there . Got a new big smoker i built to bring and play with. Injuries and covid kept me away past 2 years. I love the people and the time up there. Good food and good people can't come any sooner.

Homemade reverse flow 500 gal smoker

Attachments

• 20220903_193643.jpg
    20220903_193643.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220402_112445.jpg
    20220402_112445.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 11
Hey Everyone!

the reservation system sucks, or I'm stupid. tried for 5 different spots for12/2 and 3. show available the says not...... getting frustrated

Fxsales. The reservation system will use a hold on campsite reservation for 20-30 min untill u check out. If you opened several browser sites on your computer you will have this issue.

Jk Daniel
Thats a very nice smoker you have i love your style. Hope you can get it to the gathering.

the reservation system sucks, or I'm stupid. tried for 5 different spots for12/2 and 3. show available the says not...... getting frustrated
Yes, it does suck compared to the old one. But the campground isn’t that big, so if your in the same "wing" you won’t be that far away.

Hey Everyone!

Well after a major pain-in-the-ass, we have reserved spot number 78 for12/2 and 12/3. Since ATV's aren't allowed we will utilize our toy hauler to tote the MB 560 gravity feed and other accoutrements.. Ipicked the day they were installing new software in the state park reservation system to reserve. If y IMG-3923.jpg ou've been trying previously it should work better. see y'all then

Reactions: floridasteve
John, glad you were able to reserve. The new system they are using is no good but i'm glad we were all able to book.

Discus39 Discus39 that is a nice looking smoker! With you, keith and john all brining your hosses i might leave my trailer at home and just bring the vertical! Greatly decreases my travel time not towing it with all the stop and go traffic along my route!

Glad to see a good turn out already!

We added a day to our reservation. since its a 3 hour haul for our trailer nd stuff we decided to add a day and show up on Thursday 12/1/2022. nothing wrong with an extra dy off cookingand stuff since we'r3 dragging the smoker up there. Camp site 78.
IMG-3921.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky