Event (PICTURES ADDED) 11th Annual South Florida Gathering - December 2-4, 2022

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey Everyone!
We've decided to host the 11th annual gathering the weekend of December 2-4, 2022 this year! The normal weekend in November that we usually booked has filled up.

The gathering will be at Highland Hammock State Park in Sebring, FL. Feel free to come, go and camp as much as you want. Our main day is Saturday the 3rd where we generally cook, eat, drink and play games all day! No planned meals on this day as we normally just cook and eat all day. Some people come the entire weekend and some just come for saturday. There are hotels that can be booked nearby as well.

We'll discuss having a friendly rib competition and other competitions that we've done in the past shortly. As always, check back to this post on Page 1 for updates, i'll be updating this post as details and campsites are booked.

If you book a site, please let us know where and i'll add that to here. If you look at the map on the booking site we generally around Site 80-83 and we'll have a gathering site where we set up tents for meals, games and much more

Attendees and Site
78 fxsales1959 fxsales1959
79 @Discus39
80 floridasteve floridasteve
81 dougmays dougmays
82 orlandosmoking orlandosmoking
83 orlandosmoking orlandosmoking
86 orlandosmoking orlandosmoking
87 orlandosmoking orlandosmoking
88 (Main Gathering Site) JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07
89 JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07

Activities
Snack Stick Making?
Cold Smoking Cheese?

Competition(s)
Friendly Rib Cook Off
  • No KCBS or FBA judging, no categories...just "favorite rib".
  • Judges might be internal (friends and family) or neighboring campers
  • Any Pork or Beef Rib will do
  • We'll set a turn-in time but we can be flexible
Cocktail Comp? We did this once in the past, just throwing the idea out there

Supplies needed
  • Paper Plates
  • Plasticware ( dougmays dougmays )
  • Napkins and/or paper towels
  • Vacuum sealers
  • Vac seal bags
  • ziplocks
  • Firewood (for nightly bonfire)
  • Extra Ice

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 10.39.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 10.39.46 AM.png
    36 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I've talked/chatted with Carol, Don and Jeramy....they are all in preference of the first weekend in Dec. I think we have quorum :)

Happy Thursday South Florida Gathering Family!

First off, my apologies for not getting this ball rolling soon! Time definitely got away from me :/

Keith gave me a heads up over the weekend that spaces are filling up in November and unfortunately our usual booking weekend is full in the area we normally setup. Sooooo....i wanted to get this post up and get people's thoughts
1) Who is definitley coming this year?
2) Who is definitley out?
3) What do you think about scheduling for the 1st or 2nd weekend in December (See screenshots)?

The state park's reservation page changed and it was very confusing to find available spots by dates (at least for me)

Let's get the conversation rolling and bookings made :)
View attachment 631047View attachment 631048
depending on where in S Florida we're in broward, we don't camp, but would love to make a day of it and leave with the chickens to head up.

depending on where in S Florida we're in broward, we don't camp, but would love to make a day of it and leave with the chickens to head up.
We camp in Highland Hammock State Park in Sebring, FL. I'll have additional info about the park and gathering details up later today. Would love to have y'all!

Some people come just for the day and do not camp. Maybe others on here can advise on nearby hotels?

ok then.. sounds like the first weekend of Dec. (2-4) is going to be the dates ??

Again, I will reserve the gathering site 088, and mine (89)... As soon as the dates are listed in the title of the thread...As usual I will be getting there Thur. ...

So anybody thinking about coming for the first time can get close to site 088 (if they so choose) ...

FX.. there are plenty of day trippers, so come and join us... hotels are close by for non campers instead of trying to drive home on a full belly (we all know what happens after we eat)...

There is plenty of time to figure out any extracurricular activities (if any)... Ideas ??

Reactions: fxsales1959
Let's do it! First weekend! I"ll book my usual site (80 or 81) now. Changing the title and first thread soon

trying to book 88 and 89... This new reservation system sucks ..

Finally got them reserved... We will be there on Thurs. (Dec.1)

As you all well know.. don't wait till last minute to try and reserve as there won't be any left... reserve early ...

Last edited:
Agreed....i dont know what they were thinking when they made this new system and moved off Reserve America

Hey Everyone!
We've decided to host the 11th annual gathering the weekend of December 2-4, 2022 this year! The normal weekend in November that we usually booked has filled up.

The gathering will be at Highland Hammock State Park in Sebring, FL. Feel free to come, go and camp as much as you want. Our main day is Saturday the 3rd where we generally cook, eat, drink and play games all day! No planned meals on this day as we normally just cook and eat all day. Some people come the entire weekend and some just come for saturday. There are hotels that can be booked nearby as well.

We'll discuss having a friendly rib competition and other competitions that we've done in the past shortly. As always, check back to this post on Page 1 for updates, i'll be updating this post as details and campsites are booked.

If you book a site, please let us know where and i'll add that to here. If you look at the map on the booking site we generally around Site 80-83 and we'll have a gathering site where we set up tents for meals, games and much more

More details to come......

Looking forward to another great year
We will definitely be there, again not camping. Looking forward to seeing old friends And making new ones.

Reactions: dougmays
Dang, I sure would like to visit. We do a Florida trip each winter. Ohio snowbird here. We'll be close to Sebring, staying at Canopy Oaks January 15- Feb 20th. Maybe next year.

RG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky