1 whole chicken, burning alder and other woods

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

motolife313

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 27, 2016
IMG_7357.JPG
I'm going to smoke this chicken low and slow at 150 for extra smoke first hour then bring it up to 225. Marinated in concentrated OG for 3 hours. It's almost 6 pounds and I spilt it down the breast. I'm hoping to get it really tender like Costco chickens, there's are really good and tender. 2 hours in and thigh and breast are 123 degrees. Burning oak and apple too. Mainley alder tho

IMG_7348.JPG
This little bit of alder should last the whole cook almost. My smoker is really efficient. That's a 7 month of Aussie. I cut them in half in my wood chop saw

IMG_7362.JPG
Took about 4 hours 20 minutes and never went over 225. Brought it to 165. Had 1 probe in thigh and 1 in the breast. Thigh got to 164 and breast 166. Didn't put any BBQ sauce on just some butter when it was done

Thanks guys! I never even opened the door either and it was really moist and tender. Pretty much the tenderness I was looking for, practice makes perfect tho so I'll get better

That's a big compliment John thanks a lot! I think not spritzing it and opening the door is the trick and working well.

Fire box is insulated with 2300 white fire brick. I can put my hand on it for couple seconds

I could probably just eat the skin and be happy.

Dang good work there and what a cool looking smoker...from what I could see. Do you have a thread where you show off the build? Assuming it is custom.

Thanks for the share.

Reactions: motolife313
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky