- Wood for smoking
8.1 Types of wood suitable for smoking
- Pat Lehnherr--
- ALDER - Very delicate with a hint of sweetness. Good with fish, pork, poultry, and light-meat game birds.
- ALMOND - A nutty and sweet smoke flavor, light ash, very much like pecan. Good with all meats.
- APPLE - Very mild with a subtle fruity flavor, slightly sweet. Good with poultry (turns skin dark brown) and pork.
- ASH - Fast burner, light but distinctive flavor. Good with fish and red meats.
- BLACK WALNUT - Very heavy smoke flavor, usually mixed with lighter wood like hickory or mesquite. Can be bitter if used alone. Good with red meats and game.
- CHERRY - Mild, fruity, but slightly bitter if it comes from chokecherry trees. Good with poultry, pork and beef (turns skin brown).
- GRAPEVINES - Tart. Provides a lot of smoke. Rich and fruity. Good with poultry, red meats, game and lamb.
- HICKORY - Most commonly used wood for smoking. Sweet to strong, heavy bacon flavor. Good with pork, ham and beef.
- LILAC - Very light, subtle with a hint of floral. Good with seafood and lamb.
- MAPLE - Smoky, mellow and slightly sweet. Good with pork, poultry, cheese, and small game birds.
- MESQUITE - Strong earthy flavor. Good with beef, fish, chicken, and game. One of the hottest burning.
- OAK - Heavy smoke flavor. Red oak is good on ribs, white oak makes the best coals for longer burning. Good with red meat, fish and heavy game.
- ORANGE and LEMON - Light and citrusy. Good with pork and game birds.
- PEAR - A nice subtle flavor. Much like apple. Excellent with chicken and pork.
- PECAN - A cool burner. Nutty and sweet. Tasty with a subtle character. Good with steaks, ribs, and cheese.
- SWEET FRUIT WOODS - Apricot, Plum, Peach Great on most white or pink meats, including chicken, turkey, pork, fish. The flavor is milder and sweeter than hickory.
Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!