Here is an Old Bay Recipe knock off , which I use. You may want to increase the celery seed a tad, other than that it's all good. Try it on your chicken, or try it as a new and different rub. It's all good there too! Any way here it is.
Serving Size 1 (12g)
Recipe makes 10 servings
Calories 43 Calories from Fat 24 (56%) Amount Per Serving %DV Total Fat 2.7g 4% Saturated Fat 0.3g 1% Monounsaturated Fat 1.7g Polyunsaturated Fat 0.4g Trans Fat 0.0g Cholesterol 0mg 0% Sodium 481mg 20% Potassium 152mg 4% Total Carbohydrate 4.8g 1% Dietary Fiber 1.5g 5% Sugars 0.1g Protein 2.0g 3% Vitamin A 121mcg 2% Vitamin B6 0.1mg 5% Vitamin B12 0.0mcg 0% Vitamin C 2mg 3% Vitamin E 0mcg 0% Calcium 182mg 18% Iron 4mg 26%
how is this calculated?
Delmarva Seasoning (Old Bay Substitute) Recipe #170734
As all you crab afficionados know, the term "Delmarva" refers to the coastal areas bordering on the states of Delaware (Del), Maryland (mar)and Virginia (va) where the world's best crabmeat is harvested. Thing is that a lot of people go to a lot of trouble (and a lot of expense) to buy the best lump crabmeat available -- but then they use a mass-produced commercial product to season it. Weird! This recipe for 'homemade' seasoning is courtesy of Epicurious. All you Old Bay die-hards, I defy you to try it and tell me you can't taste a difference!! :)
10 min | 10 min prep
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground celery seed
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon bay leaf powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients, stirring well to mix.
- Stored in a tightly-sealed container in a cool, dark place, seasonings will keep indefinitely.
- (Note: To give you a hint of how far this will go -- My favorite crab cake recipe is #81656 by pgserver6. To serve 10 people, this calls for 2 teaspoons of seasoning.).