Rich Hansen posted on facebook about keeping his knives sharp, and I asked him what the tool beside them was:
All my kitchen knives are shaving sharp for once.
..and I asked him what the tool was he used, and said it was Work Sharp WSKTS system, available on Amazon, Northern Tool, its own website,and several others at varying prices, but median price of $69.99. Here's a description:
The Work Sharp WSKTS is an innovative abrasive belt sharpening system that combines flexible premium abrasive belts and precision sharpening guides with speed and ease to give you the sharpest blades with professional results. The sharpening guides are purpose-built for kitchen and outdoor knives (hunting, pocket, fillet, etc.), as well as scissors and serrated knives. The Knife & Tool Sharpener can also be used for many other sharpening tasks such as garden pruners, lawn mower blades, shovels and countless other bladed shop and garden tools. U.S.A.
- Patented belt technology conforms to the shape of any blade
- Sharpens not just straight bladed knives, but also curved knives, tanto blades, fillet knives, serrated knives, gut hooks and virtually any other shape of knife blade
- Sharpens other common tools including scissors, axes and hatchets, mower blades, garden shears, shovels, and most any tool with a blade
- Can be used to debur cut metal
- Uses precision angle sharpening guides to ensure that you get the proper angle every time
- Includes two guides: a 50° guide for hunting and outdoor knives (25° per bevel) and 40° guide for thinner blades and kitchen knives (20° per bevel)
You can sharpen all kinds of items as it says above, and it is the nearest thing to what I am accustomed to in a professional meat shop:
This is also a belt system, and designed primarily for meatcutting/chefs' knives, not lawnmower blades or hatchets, lol! But, it also goes for $579.99 too!
I would consider this as the go-to machine for knife sharpening, and will order one ASAP, probably from Amazon or Northern Tool!