1 chuck or arm roast (4-6 lb.)
2 envelopes enchilada sauce mix (or two cans of enchilada sauce)
1 lg. onion, diced
2 small cans of diced green chilies
1 tbsp. oil
2 doz. flour tortillas (8" size)
1 lb. shredded Colby cheese or Colby/Jack cheese
1/4 cup water (if using option #2)
- Season roast with salt and pepper and smoke to an internal temperature of 180 deg. F. or until beef shreds easily. Shred beef and set aside.
- Saute onion in oil until tender and then stir 1/2 of the onion into shredded beef. Add green chilies to the beef.
- Prepare envelopes of enchilada sauce mix according to directions. Stir 1/2 of the sauce mix into shredded beef to moisten. Stir reserved onion into remaining sauce. Divide the remaining sauce in half (half of this sauce will be poured into the bottoms of the baking pan, and the remaining half of the sauce will be poured over the top of the rolled enchiladas).
- Lightly oil two 12X9 inch baking pans and evenly coat the bottom of the pans with the 1st half of the remaining sauce.
- Fill each tortilla with approximately 3 tablespoons of beef mixture. Roll and place seam side down in pans; 12 enchiladas per pan. When all are rolled, pour remaining sauce evenly over the tops of the enchiladas and generously cover with cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes. If using glass baking dishes, reduce baking time to 20-35 minutes, or bake at 325 degrees for 30-45 minutes.
Season roast with salt and pepper and smoke for 2 to 3 hours. (At this point you can refrigerate the roast and finish this dish several days later.) Place roast in crock pot with 1/4 cup water (or 1/4 cup canned enchilada sauce). Cook on low heat for 4-5 hours or until tender. Shred beef mixture.
Continue with Steps 2 through 6 from Option #1.