Young Chicken Dry Rubbed & Smoked w/ Kiawe Wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mooseman

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 30, 2009
Encino, CA
I received a sample shipment of Hawaiian Kiawe Wood from a fellow Brethren, who was kind enough to send me for a trade of my rubs. I was very intrigued by his description of the kind of smoke it creates, so I was eager to try it. As I picked up a piece of the wood, I realized how heavy and dense it was. This is going to be interesting!

I thought a fresh young chicken would be the perfect candidate to see how the smoke from this wood impacts the flavor profile of meat. Here it is all rubbed down with my Chicken Rub #2, my seasoned pepper, and rosemary sprigs underneath the skin:

I put a nice sized chunk of Kiawe wood on my hot coals, and smoked the chicken indirect for an hour. Finished it off with a nice direct sear to get some crispy goodness on the skin.

I was not disappointed with the outcome. The Kiawe wood produced a very distinct, fragrant, mellow smoke, and the flavor it imparted to the chicken was equally as good. Can't wait to try this with Pork. I REALLY like this stuff!

those look good
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Chicken looks great, and the rub had a beautiful color but what I was most impressed with was the bottle of Smithwick's in the background.
Very tasty and very good Irish beer
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky