Wsm & Tbs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chisoxjim

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 25, 2007
Ive done maybe 40 smokes total on an older model WSM, and a 2009 WSM, and continue to be impressed. The WSM has to be the best smoker I have ever used, or eaten bbq off of(that includes Southern Prides, Gassers, Klose, offsets,Brinkmans, and electrics).

Some folks think a charcoal smoker means alot of work, its not, fill the ring with lump and a few wood chunks mixed in, top with a lit chimney starter full of lump, wait about 15 minutes, assemble the smoker and fill the water pan, I wait another 10 minutes or so to let the temps stabalize, then I add the food. Unless I am adding more food, flipping ribs, taking off ABT's there is no reason to open the smoker. After an initial adjustment of the vents it pretty much chugs along without any other adjustments. No adding wood, etc. There is always prep work to do while the lump is goeeting going, or the short time the WSM is getting ready. I think it takes about 45 minutes total to light the WSM and get meat on the smoker.

Yesterday i fired up the WSM @ 12:00 p.m., and ate dinner @ around 6:30. I left the smoker going to burn down the fuel since I am using it today. At 10:00 p.m. it was still chugging along @ 230 degrees kicking out the TBS, I finally had to shut down the vents to put out the coals. Looking @ the lump left it could have easily gone another 2 hours. So I got 10 hours off one fill of the ring and could have gotten 12 hours. Pretty damn impressive, or at least to me it is.

I know now why the WSM has an almost cult like following, I am a WSM disciple.

you wont be disappointed.

Id just hate for anyone to be scared away from a charcoal smoker thinking they are too hard to use.

WSM in action, should be good for 10 hours or so.

They are by far the easiest smoker to use. I have a clay saucer instead of water in the pan and get 14 hours easy at 225 on my 22 inch WSM. No messing with the vents either. It lets you give the attention to the meat, to make the best end product. I used to have a heavilly modified NB offsett, all I did was adjust the thing, and boy did it burn coals fast.

Jamie

the 22's are nice, Im saving up to buy one right now.

Im doing a chicken right now, got the WSM lit, put the chicken on, havent touched a thing for the past 2 hours, I can see the smoker from my couch, and its just doing its thing.

I bought the 18" version for my first smoker and I am glad I spent the money on it. Very easy to use as you posted Jim. I don't have as many smokes on it as you, but I've been very happy with the WSM.

Good to hear Tom,

As I have mentioned before I borrowed a buddies this past summer for about a month and a half. He happens to have written a book that is pretty WSM specific. Low & Slow is the name of the book, and it is a bible for WSM users imho, even thought each WSM is unique I believe in regards to its sweet spot.

Alot of other smokers get alot of love on SMF, figured the WSM needed a thread singing its praises from those in the know.

I just got done with my first smoke ever. 18.5'' WSM. Wow. Had several people over, did 2 whole chickens and 3 slabs of baby backs. They turned out great. What an outstanding smoker. It's even rookie proof. I lit a charcol and added it to some coals and wood and it stayed at 225 all day. Great smoker.

I've been using the heck out of my 22" model, and can't say enough good things about it. All the posts are right, once you get it fired up, just stand back and let it work. I love getting 8 or 10 hours out of it, allows me to do all different things at the same time. Throw in a shoulder, then maybe some ribs, later a fattie or two, maybe some nuts.....

thanks for the feedback guys, sounds like you are enjoying wour WSM's

the one bad thing about the WSM is it gives too much time for this since there is no fiddling with vents, adding wood, etc...
icon_wink.gif

a balmy mid 30's day.

Jim - are you talking about Low & Slow: Master the Art of Barbecue in 5 Easy Lessons? Bought that little gem right as soon as I placed my order for my 18.5" WSM. Love the chicken quarters marinated in mojo criollo!

You're killing me Jim.

Water in the pan; boiled or right out of the tap? Season first or go for it right out of the box? Vent settings - bottom at 1/2 and top at full?

yes tom,

Gary is a good guy, and a serious BBQ guy as well. I refer back to "Low and Slow" almost as much as "Joy of Cooking".

During the cold months I am using hot water from the tap to fill the water pan. ALso I am having to run with the bottom vents open most of the time, occasionally Ill shut them down by 1/3. Top wide open.

I also foil the water pan for easy clean up.

not really bad, other than I am typically of no use by 8:00 p.m.
icon_smile.gif

Ha ha just razzing ya Jim. So you are saying no all night smokes with the wsm are advised??
icon_mrgreen.gif
Those do look like great little units to have around. I use to have a Brinkmann 7 in 1 cooker years ago that is very similar to the wsm. It was a very nice set and forget unit. It was our Sunday cooker at the campground. I would set it up at noon. Put 2 large turkey breasts in it. Walk up to the other end of the campground and play horseshoes and drink beer for 4 hours or so. Walk back down to our place and the turkey would be ready to eat and perfectly done everytime.
icon_smile.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky