WSM cold weather

Discussion in 'Charcoal Smokers' started by bk21, Nov 21, 2013.

1. bk21

bk21 Fire Starter

How does the wsm hold temps in cold weather? I live in northern Minnesota where our temps will hover around 0 in the winter wondering how it does in these conditions? I'm buying one either way, just curious.

2. fwismoker

fwismoker Master of the Pit

It'll fair just fine but use a little more fuel.   If i remember this weekend i'll PM you a solution that'll cost you about $15 and your smoker will think it's in summer time. 

3. bk21

bk21 Fire Starter

That would be excellent! Thanks

4. dan - firecraft

dan - firecraft Smoke Blower

Go with lump over briq....it will burn hotter if you need it to.

5. Though cold wx does affect slightly more fuel usage, the larger enemy is wind.  It seems like wind sucks the heat right out of the cooker and it burns through charcoal like nobody's business.

6. Can you wrap the middle section in a water heater jacket?

7. What kind of wraps/blankets can you use on a smoker?  I have a converted propane tank.

8. hambone1950

hambone1950 Master of the Pit Group Lead

I've read that welders blankets are useful....makes sense to me. :grilling_smilie:

9. I got a welding blanket at Harbor Frieght Heat proof and good insulator They have them in different sizes as well

10. dward51

dward51 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I've used mine as low as 10* before.  Wind is your enemy but there are a lot of ways to block it.  Other than that, you may see a little faster fuel burn in keeping the temps up in that 0* weather, but I don't think it will be a huge difference.

11. bk21

bk21 Fire Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm really not ready for this winter crap!

12. That does make sense. Thanx.

13. #2 of 12
    2 days ago
    FWIsmoker
    It'll fair just fine but use a little more fuel. If i remember this weekend i'll PM you a solution that'll cost you about $15 and your smoker will think it's in summer time.

I'm in central IL and foresee similar problems would you mind PM fix remedy as well?

14. hambone1950

hambone1950 Master of the Pit Group Lead

I'm with you , brother ! Here in New England , We have been having one of the most mild and extreme-weather free Autumns in recent memory , but today it's 20 degrees and blustery as all get out.....brrrrrr !

15. fwismoker

I thought i could find this picture i saw for you but i couldn't....but it is  pretty simple.     At Lowes/Home Depot they have these insulate sheets that are 4x8, some have reflecix and others don't.  IIRC one sheet is only like 6 or 7 dollars (the reflectix ones like 12 dollars )and it would only take 2 sheets.  Cut out 4 sides big enough to fit around the smoker to have some dead air space...maybe 30" x 36" or appx.   fit them together in a box shape and tape vertically along the edges to hold them together with good foil tape or duct tape.  Notch out some air inlets on the bottom of each side so air can draft in. 

You don't have to worry about the insulation melting because it wouldn't be touching the smoker, lay something heavier over the top (offset it so exhaust can escape)  to hold it down in place...i suggest cutting a piece of durarock.  

You could make something similar out of wood...the most important thing is to have dead air space and go all the way around the smoker and have a top to let exhaust out.    

Keeping wind off the smoker is the most important thing but if you can get a box around it that would be even better. 

16. integritybbq

integritybbq Newbie

i have a 22" WSM, just bought a 6x8 welders blanket for 25 bucks at Tractor supply, can buy online. Will reply how it works with pics.

17. fwismoker

I'll tell you right now it'll do great.   Keeping the wind off is half the battle.  They also have those clips so you can hold it after you wrap it. 

18. I've read about people using 55 gallon plastic drums with the top and bottoms cut out as wind shields for their WSM's. I plan on giving that a try. Figure i could use that as a wind shield for my deep fryer as well when needed.

19. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Been there done this

The first turkey I ever smoked was in a crappy Meco charcoal smoker. It was 17°f and blowing 25mph. I fashioned a box out of 4" thick foil backed rigid insulation. tape three sides together with duct tape, taped on a top. Foil to the inside about two inch clearance all the way around. The fourth panel I didn't tape so I could remove it to access the smoker. Left it short by about 4" so I could have a 2" air gap at the top and bottom. Faced that side away from the wind. Worked great and  the turkey turned out fantastic! When I was done I untapped it and stacked the panels up in the garage. Used them for quite a few smokes until I got rid of that smoker.

20. I used mine this morning. The temp was 25 and the WSM came up to temp in about 15 minutes. My only regret with mine is that I bought the small one.