Wood for build?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zombified

Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
NE Wyoming
Am in the planning stage of building a wood construction smoke house. My first question is about the type of lumber to use. I know not to use anything treated and have been scanning builds in the forums. It seems cedar is the main choice. Is there a reason to use cedar over other woods? I was thinking about using red oak, is this a suitable wood? Would definitely appreciate any and all thoughts and comments. Thanks to all.

Hello zom.  I think cedar is just a choice thing ( visual appeal, no painting needed? ).  Others have used other woods including ply.  I would have been worried about ply; glues and all, but that is what Pops made his from.  If Pops gives his OK, good enough for me.  I see no reason red oak will not work fine. As you said, as long as it ain't treated should be fine.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky