Wood chips on element?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sur2baja

Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
I'm a little confused! I received a Brinkmann Electric Gourmet for Christmas and conditioned it by spraying Pam on the inside, water in the pan and placing the wood chips around the element ( with some chips falling on the element). I added more chips every half hour so I was getting heavy smoke and no flare ups. I did this for about four hours. Are wood chips on the element a no-no? I've read some posts and people are using a variety of boxes/pans/pouches either directly on or slightly elevated above the elements? What should I be doing? Thanks!

welcome sur2baja
When you get time go to the "roll call" thread and officially introduce yourself.....this will let everyone know your here
wink.gif

Don't know, but would think, that Brinkman includes a device for wood chips with the OEM package.....since heavy smoke is definitely a no-no you need something in there to contain the chips....have read about using aluminum pans and/or a system to support a chip box just above the heater....

I would go to the search box and type in brinkman and look up the posts that pop up...lots of good info here...good luck cutting back on the smoke production

I have used the Brinkman for years; I have never put the wood directly on the element and wouldn't think its a good idea, if for no other reason than the mess. I soak my wood chips overnight and then put them in a 6 inch cast iron frying pan set directly on the element. I would think any heavy steel or cast iron pan would work for this purpose.
Good luck with your new smoker.

Don

Forgot to add: If I load up the pan with soaked, good size chunks I get good smoke for +4 hours and never have to add more wood.

D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky