Wood Chips for (Gas, Charcoal, Electric) is there a difference?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

capman1

Original poster
Dec 6, 2013
Hi Everyone.

My smoker is a Masterbuilt Digital Electric Smokehouse 30".  I went to Lowes to buy wood chips and all they had was Cowboy brand woodchips.  I grabbed a few bags of varying wood types to experiment with different flavors.  When I got home, I noticed that the bags said for use in gas and charcoal grills.  See link.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_158798-37442-82002_?PL=1&productId=1038169

Is this going to be a problem for my smoker?  Will these work or should I return them?  Also... Has anyone ever used this brand before and what was your take on them.

Thanks for any information or advice fellow smokers.

Matt

I think all wood is the same.. apple is apple etc... there may be a difference in the size of the chips that may work better in different smokers.... I use Big Chief wood chips in my MES and they work OK.... I have even used wood chips in the AMNPS smoke generator.. they work marginally well if they are dried very dry...
Give them a try.... use a small amount, like a 1/4 cup at a time so they don't burst into flame.... chips will burn under the right conditions where sawdust will usually smolder...

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky