WIsconsin Chicken Cordon Bleu

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cv66seabear

Original poster
Mar 9, 2016
Created this recipe this evening for dinner out of necessity and they came out great!  I was going to make Chicken Cordon Bleu on the smoker, and decided (after reading Jeff's book and a lot of posts), to wrap the breasts in bacon, to keep them moist. 

Recipe:

240 degrees 2 1/2 hours 

Start the way you would to normally make cordon bleu.  I butterfly the breasts to create an even thickness, and to create a more rectangular form.  

Lay a small slice of swiss cheese and 1 thin slice of ham (I think I will add more of both next time), season the inside with a bit of salt and pepper.

Roll up the breasts and season the outside with Montreal Chicken seasoning and Penzey's Shallot and Pepper seasoning. (If you don't know Penzey's - give them a try-they're great!)

Next I wrapped each breast with 3 slices of thick bacon (I prefer applewood, can't wait to do bacon one day!), wrapping completely around each breast.

Finally, I took about 1/4 C Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ and thinned it with 1/4 C cider vinegar and added about 2-3 T Coarse ground spicy mustard, whisked to incorporate and mopped the breasts twice in the last 1/2 hour of cooking.

Notes:  I think the thick sliced bacon I used really needed 3 hours, not 2 1/2, although it was done, it was just a tad soft.

The raves were many and well appreciated!  These were just delicious.  Served with garlic and bacon mashed potatoes.  Green beans would have been a great side.

Reactions: bauchjw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky