WIsconsin Chicken Cordon Bleu

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by cv66seabear, Mar 11, 2016.

1. cv66seabear

cv66seabear Newbie

Created this recipe this evening for dinner out of necessity and they came out great!  I was going to make Chicken Cordon Bleu on the smoker, and decided (after reading Jeff's book and a lot of posts), to wrap the breasts in bacon, to keep them moist. 

Recipe:

240 degrees 2 1/2 hours 

Start the way you would to normally make cordon bleu.  I butterfly the breasts to create an even thickness, and to create a more rectangular form.  

Lay a small slice of swiss cheese and 1 thin slice of ham (I think I will add more of both next time), season the inside with a bit of salt and pepper.

Roll up the breasts and season the outside with Montreal Chicken seasoning and Penzey's Shallot and Pepper seasoning. (If you don't know Penzey's - give them a try-they're great!)

Next I wrapped each breast with 3 slices of thick bacon (I prefer applewood, can't wait to do bacon one day!), wrapping completely around each breast.

Finally, I took about 1/4 C Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ and thinned it with 1/4 C cider vinegar and added about 2-3 T Coarse ground spicy mustard, whisked to incorporate and mopped the breasts twice in the last 1/2 hour of cooking.

Notes:  I think the thick sliced bacon I used really needed 3 hours, not 2 1/2, although it was done, it was just a tad soft.

The raves were many and well appreciated!  These were just delicious.  Served with garlic and bacon mashed potatoes.  Green beans would have been a great side.

bauchjw likes this.
  2. bauchjw

bauchjw Master of the Pit

Wow! Beautiful! Thank you for sharing, II'll try this one really soon!

3. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks delicious!

Great job!

Al