Wine Oak Barrel wood? or "Wine wood"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lght

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Sunny Southern California
I picked up a few bags of wood this weekend along with the usual cherry, apple, mesquite, hickory, and red oak they had a private stash of wine oak barrels available.
I actually got to pick the slates I wanted from a stack of wine barrels. I managed to pick some good pieces that had quit a bit of wine seepage in the wood that gave off an amazing smell!!
Has anyone cooked with wine oak barrel wood before and if so does it really make a difference? I've never tried it before so I picked up a 25lb bag cut in 4" squares to start off with. I think I'm going to go with lump and use nothing but the "wine wood" for my next batch of ribs to see if It makes a difference or not.

Folks use whiskey wood and I guess you can buy Jack Chips. May take more wine wood to catch a buzz though.. Sounds good let us know ( not that I will be getting any boones farm wood anytime soon)

Do you happen to have a link on it and do you know if it included any feedback or results? I did a search and the only thing I found where a few post of guys asking about price and if it's ok to use, but no real info on whether it taste better or worse than just plan old oak.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky