Wine Oak Barrel wood? or "Wine wood"

Discussion in 'Woods for Smoking' started by lght, Jul 29, 2008.

1. I picked up a few bags of wood this weekend along with the usual cherry, apple, mesquite, hickory, and red oak they had a private stash of wine oak barrels available.
    I actually got to pick the slates I wanted from a stack of wine barrels. I managed to pick some good pieces that had quit a bit of wine seepage in the wood that gave off an amazing smell!!
    Has anyone cooked with wine oak barrel wood before and if so does it really make a difference? I've never tried it before so I picked up a 25lb bag cut in 4" squares to start off with. I think I'm going to go with lump and use nothing but the "wine wood" for my next batch of ribs to see if It makes a difference or not.

2. walking dude

walking dude Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

yeah.........we had several threads on it awhile back, its good wood to use

3. white cloud

white cloud Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Folks use whiskey wood and I guess you can buy Jack Chips. May take more wine wood to catch a buzz though.. Sounds good let us know ( not that I will be getting any boones farm wood anytime soon)

4. bbq addict

bbq addict Smoke Blower

Oh, now does that sounds good! I'm JEALOUS!! Let us know how it turns out.

5. Do you happen to have a link on it and do you know if it included any feedback or results? I did a search and the only thing I found where a few post of guys asking about price and if it's ok to use, but no real info on whether it taste better or worse than just plan old oak.