Wild Pig

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bassman

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 15, 2007
My boy just got back from Texas with a bunch of wild pig. I picked this up from him and just finished wrapping it for the freezer. Three hindquarters, one front shoulder, one loin and one rack of ribs. Looking forward to smoking up a couple of quarters.

Looks like your gonna have some good smokes
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

A friend of mine goes 3-5 times a year and last time he brought me 150 lbs of hog.Mainly hind quarters and loins.
icon_mrgreen.gif

I froze it and made my first sausage last week and it was perfect,what a great meat source.I gave him about 100 snack sticks and the other 200 went fast.When I was at his house cleaning and wrapping them for the freezer he said "remember no backs" because his freezer is full.He found room for the sticks

Sausage sounds good. He's bringing in the rest this morning. I think he brought a total of 4 hogs home with him. I'll see if he's interested in making
a batch of Italian.

Did you get any ribs? I'll bet that would make some good bacon as lean as they look.
Awesome job to your son for taking such good care of them - that is some extrodinarily clean looking hunks of meat.

If you need another smoker for all of that hog, I know of a guy....
icon_mrgreen.gif

I have never had wild hog before and would be interested to hear what it tastes like? Gamey????? I know it would make some awesome sausage thats for sure. Any of you guys somke the roasts, while hind quarter or any of it for that matter?

rbranstner;452097 said:
I have never had wild hog before and would be interested to hear what it tastes like? Gamey????? quote]

I'm curious too. I actually like the 'gamey' taste, feels more manly to eat wild.

We just wrapped the whole quarters to be used for smoking. These aren't the huge 400-500 pound hogs. They are relatively small. Last year he only brought back one so it didn't last long. The taste was mild, about like domestic pork.

Tracey, we saved the ribs, but they are pretty thin. I put a rack on the grill yesterday, turned on the lowest setting. After about 1 1/2 hours, they started to burn around the edges so I brushed on some sauce and took them off after a few minutes. Tough as a boot! Smoking them may be the way to go, but I won't mess with them. BBs and beef ribs that have some meat are more my style.

Now those sure look like some mighty big hog part you have there. I was given 8 hams and shoulders and they were from a good size dog size in weight so yours look so much bigger. But you will really like them we and the feast sure did love the finished product.

Never had a rack from a wild hog come out good.. Not sure why other than they do a lot more running around then domestics. The meat is not gamey per say, but it is a bit richer in flavor. One of our favorite things to do with the wild boars was to mix it 50 / 50 with venison in an italian sausage. Always came out awesome. The Divison of wildlife finally classified the wild ferrel hogs that are growing in numbers in Eastern Colorado as game last year. I need to start looking for land owners wanting to get rid of some. I miss hunting them little sausage makers
icon_mrgreen.gif

i know this is "Smoking Meat Forums" but i have found wild game to be awsome in sauerbraten.dont get me wrong i loves my smoked pork but when a nice piece of wild pork finds its way to my table i find myself thinking its going to be a october fest weekend this weekend.

2-4 lb of meat (venison,pork,or beef)
1.5 cups dry red wine
.5 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
.5 teaspoon kosher salt
.25 teaspoon ground cloves
.5 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 clove garlic minced
1 tablespoon cooking oil
5 carrots cut up into 1 in. pieces
1 medium onion sliced and seporated into rings
1 cup beef broth7oz. of tomato puree
.25 cup of raisins
10 crushed gingersnaps
spaetzle or egg noodles

1.trim meat and put in a ziplock bag in a bowl stir together the wine,vinegar,dry mustard, salt,cloves,pepper and garlic.Pour over the meat and let marinate in fridge for 3-5 days turning occasionally

2.drain meat reserving marinade for later.
brown meat on all sides in a 6 quart pot in hot oil.drain off fat.combine 1.5 cups of marinade,carrots,onions,beef broth,tomato puree,and raisins.pour over the meet and boil.reduce heat to a simer and cook covered, for 1.5-2 hours or till meat is TENDER if using game it might take longer.
when meat is done transfer meat and vegetables to a plater.reserving juices in pot.

3.for the gravy skim fat from the juices and measure out 2.5 cups.(if you have to add water till it equals 2.5 cups)return to pot and stir in crushed gingersnaps. cook over med. heat till its thickened and bubbly and serve over meat,noodles and vegetables.

You've got the makings for some nice sausage and snack sticks, besides the roasts. I sure am jealous.

I've got to try some pork for my saurbratten as well as maybe corned pork.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky