Wieners

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boykjo

Renowned Sausage Maker
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Apr 28, 2010
Raleigh,NC
Well, took my first whack at some wieners..... Boy do I have a lot to learn.....DanMcG enspired me with his smoked wieners with his post....  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/105244/wiener-makin       I changed a few things by adding less salt and using a pork shoulder and I didnt have fresh sheep casing..... This is what Happened..... LOL

ground some butt... broke out the Armstrong grinder.... she misses me

25968ee0_HPIM2235.jpg

Made up the mix

fb91b49d_HPIM2238.jpg

All mixed up and re ran the meat through the food processor to emulsify

598c6a35_HPIM2241.jpg

showing off my sausage tubes I made for my stuffer.......

1e0b6aad_HPIM2240.jpg

Didn't have sheep casings so I went with 38mm hog casings

Stuffed and in the fridge to dry out the casings a bit

7ad45d20_HPIM2242.jpg

Well here's a bump in the road.. I dont have more pics downloaded to the computer from the camera because my son took my chord.... The Playstation 3 uses the same chord to charge his controller. He will be back soon for the finish pics.......

Last edited:
Got my chord to download some more pictures

Cold smoked the wieners for 3 hrs. in my offset with maple in the amnps.... Looks like the dogs didnt get a nice color but the did get a smokey flavor

5330e355_HPIM2243.jpg

par boiled... water temp at 180 to wieners to 160 then into an ice bath......

2b83fc5f_HPIM2245.jpg

I'll post some grilled pics tomorrow. Dans wieners makes my wieners look like &^%*$&....  They are good but I am looking for a different  flavor... I really like dietz and watson hot dogs.... more of what I am looking for.......

Joe

Sweet Joe, I hope ya like them, But I've always found that you can take the exact same recipe and stuff it into a different casing and it will taste totally different. Looking forward to what you think of them in 38's

Last edited:
Those look good Joe. I would give those a try in a heartbeat. This just got moved up the list to do

Sweet Joe, I hope ya like them, But I've always found that you can take the exact same recipe and stuff it into a different casing and it will taste totally different. Looking forward to what you think of them in 38's

Just ordered some sheep casings from Butcher&packer. Think i am hooked on making these hot dogs.... going into experiment mode

Joe

icon_cool.gif

Now your dogs look pretty darn good to me. Now the casings might make a difference. I guess you need to keep trying and prefect your dogs. Not a bad thing in some of our eyes.

They sure look good to me Joe! When you get the recipe the way you want it I hope you post it, because I'd like to give it a try too.

I get a 2 inch tri clover cap and bore it on a lathe the size the sanitary tubing I want and make it a press fit. Press the tube in the cap and weld. then I turn down the base to the size needed to fit the stuffer

ed427cf9_cap.jpg

Joe

large casing weiners? kinda your version of Knockwurst!

Looks good!

using what you have creatively is an art in itself!
You beat me to it BC, I was going to say, Big Fat hot dogs are Knockwurst...Some Braised Red Cabbage, Spaetzle and Mustard...YUM!...JJ

I bet those "real" hotdogs are gonna be great. Can't wait to hear your take on 'em though. 

The tubes are super awesome! Wish I had access to stainless welding wire...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky