Whole shoulder Butt and Picnic ! Should I cut in smaller 3-4 pound roast size?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

imbrayon

Original poster
Sep 14, 2013
Shoulder is 23 pounds, I intend to slow Smoke  it on my char-griller 3001 grillin' pro using the charcoal Smoker.

The meat will be for pulled Pork

I will take the skin off and cut off most of the fat down to about 1/4 inch all around and then use a rub to smoke it. and finish of the last hour or so with a sauce.

My main question is if I should cut the shoulder into smaller roasts thereby finishing with more Bark to provide more taste to the pulled pork .

Thank

ImBrayon

Canada

Sorry about that it is only 11pounds ... my kg to lbs was not properly input.

lol and the sticker says Picnic not the whole shoulder lol

Nevertheless should I cut it up in 3 pièces

IMHO, I wouldn't cut it up. I would smoke it whole. When I cook a smaller piece of pork, it always seems a little drier to me but it may just be my imagination. 

Disco

Reactions: imbrayon
Thank you that is what I was thinking of also ... would you have any comments in regards to the Skin Off ?

I would take the skin off because I don't think the rub and smoke will penetrate it. As for the fat, I trim it because I think there is lots of fat in the cut and that the thick fat layer stops some of the smoke flavour from going into the meat. However, I have only been smoking for a year and I have read posts from people who I really trust that suggest trimming and others I trust equally who suggest not trimming the fat.

Disco

Last edited:
Reactions: imbrayon
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky