Whole shoulder - 20lbs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

atomicsmoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 3, 2014
Toronto, Canada
My last pork butt didn't last too long in the freezer after two seatings with friends and coworkers. Needed more for those hasty weeknights when there is a ton of things going on and kids would not touch yesterday's leftovers.

Got a whole shoulder...20lbs. Guys at the meat counter separated the butt from the shoulder. Paid the same price I paid just for the butt a month ago. Note to self: always buy whole shoulder.

Rubbed the night before with brown sugar, kosher salt, onion powder, gran garlic, cumin, thyme, oregano.

Went in at 10:45am.

Almost TBS

Last edited:
It went faster than I thought. One of them took only 1.75h at 300 to get to 205. The other one 2.5h. Once again it's confirmed you can't accurately time pulled pork.

Resting in cooler now. No pics: everyone knows what a cooler and a blanket look like. :-)

Last edited:
Man that seems awful fast.

What therm did you use?   Did the bone wiggle good?

Same therm as always: CDN (digital). haven't tried the bone...I rushed straight to the cooler (was foiled). Do you think is too fast for 300F? We'll see in a few hours.

Last time I did just the butt same procedure. Didn't see any stall. But it pulled itself. I just stood there and watched in amazement.

2.5 hours?   Yea that FAST.

When I cook at 275 - 300 its about 45 mins per lb

Sorry I wasn't clear. It was 1.75h and 2.5h wrapped in aluminum after it reached 160 and 165. Total cooking time was 8.75h/9.5h. I guess that adds up now. Pheuw...you gave me a scare.

Looks spectacular! Do you do anything with the juice in the pan? I've never done one....  
drool.gif

Looks spectacular! Do you do anything with the juice in the pan? I've never done one....   :drool

I put five tbs in each bag (~350g meat/bag) (bags go in the freezer).
When we eat them I don't have to add finishing sauce to keep the meat moist.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky