Whole Picnic Thai Style (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scpatterson

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 1, 2009
Mcnairy County Tennessee
I saw a whole pig cooked in Thailand on TV a while back. Ive been to Thailand and love the food and the BBq there, so I decided to try to mimic what I saw on a smaller version.

The hog I saw was deboned but the meat and fat was left attched to the skin. The meat was then sliced down to the skin but leaving it attached. Then Thai spices were rubbed down into the cubes and the hog was hung inside an inground roaster. Look amazing.....

Well I took my 9 pound picnic and sliced it last night all the way around and almost to the bone. I paked it with brown sugar and some thai chili sauce, salt and pepper.

I cooked it at about 240 for 8 1/2 hours Foiled at 165 and pulled it at 203...It was kind of hard to get good temps with it being cut from my mavericks. My Lang also cooks faster than what you might expect so 8 1/2 hours has been about right on all my butts as well....Anyway

I did not like it much. Im not a fan of Brown sugar on my BBQ. I like it sweet but I like it in to be in the sauce. i like the pork taste and the sugar covers it up to me. It was nice and juicy and pulle good. But I did not like teh taste as much as my usual salt and pepper butts. ife was not a fan either but the kids went to town on it...The Cut of meat was real fatty as well and not much meat on it...this was my first picnic cut....Anyway I never consider 1 of my smokes a loss as long as I pick up soem knowledge and I got plenty on this one...Lang performed perfect again so no complaints there....heres the photos.....Thanks for looking

This is how I cut it

Rubbed down and in the fridge for the night

4 hours in and the first look

Foiled

Finished and ready to pull

Thai Sweet Chili Sauce

Nice smoke Ring

wow. that looks amazing.

i saw the same kind of thing done with baby (30 lbs dressed) pigs in the dominican republic. i want to do that to a bone in pork loin roast and then smoke it.

Awesome Butt... Looks Delicious...
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Looks just great.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Looks great, I think bufford would of been proud

Man I don't care what you say, I'd eat that in a heartbeat!!

Great Qview. Thanks

it sure does look good but i'm with you on the sugar..........

Looks awful tasty from here. Glad you were able to learn something from it even it you weren't crazy about it. Maybe you can adjust your rub to be more suitable for you next time.

Thanks for sharing.

Man that is some fine looking butt there. It looks so good and juicy too. Great job

Man that's to bad you didn't like it because it sure sounds good and definitely looks good! Like GnuBee said I would eat that in heartbeat!! I just might have to try this one.

I can't say anything that hasn't been said. It is one of the finest looking qviews I've seen lately. Great job. Glad you found something the kids loved!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky