Whole Chicken -First Try

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by carbonfiber101, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Today I'm making my first attempt at a whole chicken. I used a brine recipe found in this forum and will be firing up the smoker soon, mesquite lump charcoal and apple wood.

disco likes this.
  2. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Hello , Carbonfiber.[​IMG]  Glad you found us and hope our knowledgable 'Crew' will give you advice , hints , shortcuts and such. If you have any input , please post them. We all learn from each other [​IMG]

Now your Chicken. First choose your method - Beer can , Spatch cock , whole on the grill or any way you like [​IMG]. The easiest is a beer can up it's rear and set-up in the cooker.

WE need some more info. on the type of Smoker/Grill you have and how you are going to cook it ( having a good Thermometer is essential for beginning Smokers ). And send some Q-view (pics) of your set-up. This helps us get good reliable info.

If you have a problem , PM a Moderator like myself , and we will guide you through , if needed .

Have fun and as always . . .

3. Here is the brine recipe i used

Slaughterhouse Poultry Brine By Tip Piper of Hillbilly Vittles
    1 1⁄2 Gal Water
    1⁄2 C Salt (picklin er kosher)
    1⁄2 C Dark Brown Sugar
    2 tsp Garlic Powder
    2 tsp Onion Powder
    2 tsp Cajun Spice (Louisiana Cajun Seasoning)
    2 tsp Celery Seed

Quick question, I read somwhere about stuffing the chicken with onion, lemon, garlic and olive oil. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  4. I'm using the Birnkmann charcoal somker from Bass Pro Shop. It didnt come with a good thermometer but I bought one and and added to the lid. I'll post pictures of my progress.

5. oldschoolbbq

[​IMG]

6. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Sounding good, how did ya decide to smoke it ?? Beer can, spatchcock ??

7. After brining, cut up apples, garlic, celery & lemon mixed with olive oil, salt & Pepper and stuffed the chicken. I rubbed the outside with olive oil and sprinkled with Paprika.

8. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looking good. I'm watching this one.

Disco

carbonfiber101 likes this.
  9. Chicken has been smoking now for 4hrs @ 225-235, internal temp is 155° and juices are pouring out :)

oldschoolbbq likes this.
  10. disco

Looking forward to a picture of the finished product!

Disco

11. oldschoolbbq

Nice color and a Smoke Ring to boot [​IMG]  .  Congratulations[​IMG]

12. Final product, 5hrs of smoke, 20 min wrapped in tin foil. Made roasted rosemary potatoes and carrots to go with it. My kids picked it clean!

13. chestnutbloom

chestnutbloom Smoking Fanatic

Mmmmm atsa sweet looking Slaughterhouse bird! [​IMG]

14. disco

I just had dinner and now I am hungry again. Thank you!

Disco

15. This looked so good I'm doing it tomorrow for dinner LOL!!!! Potatoes carrots and all!!

Ernie