Whole Brisket on my new WSM 22.5 w/Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phatbac

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Monroe, NC USA
Hi y'all,

As i mentioned on my London broil thread i just got a new WSM 22.5" smoker and since the wife didn't want ribs what a better way to break it in than to smoke a 12.5lb brisket i picked up from wally world. I will talk more about getting a new smoker in a future thread (with pics) but for the moment i will show you the brisket i smoked...

here is the brisket on my deep freezer after it was thawed rubbed and slightly trimmed. Its kinda dark but you can see the homemade rub of household herbs and spices i have added (no injection).

Here is the brisket after 6 hours of smoke. I had it a temp of 250-275 pretty steady the whole time. I love the new WSM for holding a consistent temp. I pulled it off right after this picture.

Here is the brisket after another 2 hours in the oven at 275 degrees. Instead of wrapping in foil and checking the smoker in the snow and 10 degree weather i just put it in the oven until the flat has the IT of about 180 degree and the point area has the IT of about 190 degrees. i know some people smoke their until 200 degrees but i like slices instead of pulled so i let it get tender but still slice-able.

I don't have any slice pics but it had a nice bark (not too much) and a wonderful flavor from the pecan wood.

BTW i used Royal oak lump charcoal for my base and pecan chunks for flavor. in retrospect, it would have probably ran hotter but the weather was miserable 10 degrees sleet and snowing while i smoked and strong wind. but the royal oak and wsm 22 performed like a champ and i ate like a a king!

thanks!

phatbac

(Aaron)

Reactions: mjeffcoat
Looks good,I wish I bought the 22.5 but the 18.5 is enough in reality! My wife hasn't wanted pork for awhile I cooked to much when we got the smoker just more for me!

That's a beautiful hunk of meat! Have only done 1 small brisket, but seeing these pictures makes me want to go out and buy a big ol' piece of brisket. But, that will have to wait a bit- already got a pork picnic for this weekends smoke. Great job and thanks for posting, David.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky