Whereto Get Large Bucket for Brining Turkey?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

learnin2smoke

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 13, 2014
Hi:

I have seen the Q-View in several threads of members brining their turkeys before smoking, and I would like to do the same thing with my Thanksgiving smoke. The only problem I'm having is that the focus in the pictures is usually on the bird, and not the type of bucket being used - which isn't a bad thing!! My question is, what type/capacity bucket is everyone using? I thought I had purchased a bowl large enough for brining a turkey, but when I put the frozen turkey in it (still in the package so I could get an idea of the size of the  bowl), I found out there is no way for the turkey and 2 gallons of liquid to fit at the same time. Thanks in advance!!

5 gallon size.....Home Depot, about 5 bucks. Brick to weigh it down....50 cents (put brick in baggie) Fridge it will fit into...about $500 (just kidding)....HTH, Willie. If you got a favorite restaurant you frequent, you might ask them for a bucket...often mayo, soy sauce, kraut, pickles etc come in them and they have extras laying around....toss them some smoked turkey...win-win.....Willie

Lowes has food grade Buckets. Another option is to stop at grocery store and ask in the bakery dept. frosting and I other ingredients used in the bakery come that way

I was gonna say at a Bakery or Restaurant , but never mind . . .
cool.gif

Lowes has food grade Buckets. Another option is to stop at grocery store and ask in the bakery dept. frosting and I other ingredients used in the bakery come that way

I get food grade buckets at lowes all the time.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone:

Thanks for the great conversation! I think this thread will be very helpful to lots of members!

If I meed one I'll take it home from work. Every year I make 15 to 20 gallons of pickled mangoes and use the two gallon mayo buckets because they fit in my large coolers.

I have a decent sized beer cooler I use only for this.  I work in a restaurant that gets 8" gel ice packs in with fresh fish orders and I save some of the ice packs in my freezer.  I put my whole yardbirds in a trash bag in a 1 gallon bucket and then tie them off and put 6 of the ice bags in with them.  For turkeys, I use a doubled trash bag, tie it off and put a couple of extra ice bags in and close the lid and they are good overnight and the temp is beautiful.  I could probably do the same thing with a larger bucket, but I wouldn't be able to close the lid and control the temp.

If any of you know someone in a restaurant or grocer that gets fresh fish you can ask them for the bags, they are always thrown away several times a week.  Better yet, trade some product and they might help you with other things.  The fresh fish comes in cheap Styrofoam that is formed exactly to the size of the cardboard box, you could have some coolers on the cheap as well.

Just a quick update for everyone, I found out today that Firehouse Subs sells recycled five-gallon pickle buckets for only $2 each. All proceeds benefit Firehouse Subs Public Safety Foundation. So if you have a Firehouse Subs in your area, you can get a food grade bucket very cheap and you can help out a good cause.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky