Where Was Bear??? (With SnowView)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Precisely why we moved from Northern NY (50 mi above Dan McG) to Fort Worth, Texas - lived in that for 46 years, went through the Blizzards of '63 and '77 (over 15 feet of snow dumped in 24-48 hours), in '77 had my 1 stall garage buried overnight!  I feel your pain, bro' Bear, believe me!  After my back operations I couldn't deal with the snow any more, couldn't even snow-blow, we had to move, it was the best thing we ever did.Glad you're ok!  When you've been born and raised in it you just take it for granted that is the way life is; you spend the spring un-doing winter stuff (storm windows, hay around the foundation, putting air conditioner in, fixing the roof from ice dams, etc.), fall packing up for the next winter (putting storm windows back on, taking out the air conditioner, buying fresh hay bales, re-stringing FrostTex II on the roof and wrapping pipes, etc.) and your two weeks of summer going on a vacation that you take in Fla. or Tx. and wonder, "Gee, isn't it boring here being the same weather all the time?"  LOL!

22db0e0e_oswego3.jpg

0b64df84_oswegosnow1.jpg

These were in the Blizzard of 2004 if i remember, my sister sent them to me from Oswego NY, about halfway between me and Dan McG a little to the west, right in the snowbelt area.

Last edited:
Gee Bear, am sorry to hear about the snow storm and power outages. 

Glad to hear you are okay though. 

Lol, I ain't seen 18" of snow since Apr. of 85. '93 and '96 were pretty heavy 

with snow but still nothing like that.

Just glad to have ya back!!!

Mike

Wow....sorry to hear that Bear.  Glad you got by okay -- you have the tools and skills for it.  Great pictures....looks like what we'll have to soon here in North East Ohio.....
Thanks John!!

We're used to snow here, but never this early, with this much tree damage.

Bear

Hmmm, mystery solved. Thought the Bear had gone into hibernation for the winter. Glad you're OK,,,,,,being born & raised in NYC I've been through my share of snow and can't say I miss it...lol.
Thanks Willie!!

Now I keep watching the trees that are still standing, hoping the rest of the leaves will fall the Heck off!!!!

Bear

WOW looks like you got buried pretty good!!!
Way too early!!

Bear

Hey Buddy I had no idea you were in that mess but I was wondering where you were. Glad to see everything is ok...Take care...
Thanks Roller!!

Bear

Thanks for taking the hit for us Bear, them sort of storms usually track a little higher and dump on us. It's really nice to be off the grid for a bit, but after a day or so it gets old. glad ya got through it. Dan
Thanks Dan!!

You're right---It gets old quick. We had 30" snows here that did a whole lot less damage. Darn thing was just too early!!

My older Sister lived in Rochester for about 18 years, so I know the snow can get deeper & come more often.

Bear

Yay! I kinda thought that might be what was going on. Pictures are great Papa Bear. Glad you survived it. The wood burning stove is just beautiful as is your cabin. Hugs me brutha! Stay warm!
Thank You Dear!!

Bear

Hey Bear,

I was wondering where you had been, I thought the storm might have knocked out your power.

Really???  ummm..., you were out at 1:30 in the morning (I can't type that word, it locks up the 'puter), why couldn't it wait for the daytime? I have learned in the past--If I wait to snow-blow, it often rains on it, or partially melts, causing it to turn to slush. Then my snow-blower can't do much more than make ice bricks that clog the second stage shute. Gotta get 'er done!!!  Only part I waited until light to do was next to my truck, so I wouldn't scratch it.  
biggrin.gif

I read you post until I came to the part about the pics, then I clicked on the scroll, closed my eyes and moved it to the bottom of the page, started reading from the last post up, that's some fine looking grub, what's that behind the stove, you got a picture of green grass, ......so you don't forget what it looks like.  LOL  That picture was on the 5th morning. By then there were patches of green in a bunch of places. We had highs around 60˚, after the first day. I never saw anything like it, but never saw this much snow in October before!!!!

Glad to see your back, ahhh...., stay warm!!!  Thanks Gene!!---------Bear

Gene

wow Bear those are some pretty impressive pics.  I'm up in Rochester NY (45 min. east of Buffalo).  I was watching that storm and was glad it went south and east of us.  Way too early for that stuff espically with the leaves on the trees still.  The damage looks very bad its gonna take years for the trees to recover.  we had a ice storm in 90 or 91 that took out a ton of trees.  You can still see the damage done to the tree tops once the leaves drop.  With this warm weather we have been having I think I'm in for a long winter.  Lake Erie and Ontario are still warm wich makes for a long winter of lake effect snow until thier surface freezes over.  Glad you survived and were prepared with all the necessities.  heres to winter, which I look forward to every year,  There is nothing  more peaceful, calming and quiet than some fresh snow. I just wish it didn't last for 5 to 6 mos. lol
beercheer.gif

Looks like you got more than you share of the white stuff. But on the bright side that food looks fantastic!

Glad to have you back, my friend.

JC

Glad to hear your OK...We haven't had a dump like that around here for a few years..Yup, country boys know how to make the best out of a bad situation.

I bet your loving that stove about now, Have mine for that very reason.

I love snowy landscape pictures like that. I cant wait until it happens here. I get excited to see a few feet of snow on the ground means I can pull out my snow machine and go for a spin. Means I can burn great smelling wood for heat and cooking on the woodstove. IF I dont want to go out and start the generator. I cheat but I have to have my speed tv. LOL

Great pics Bear I am jealous.

Lance

Glad to see you back up and running 
Thanks scar!

Bear

Beautiful pics!

Country boys can survive!

Green grass?  Hmmmm?

Good luck and good smoking.
Thanks Merv!

Hicks hang in there!

Eggs were 5th day breakfast----6th day almost all snow gone.

Bear

18" that is what we usually get around here, only got about 8" here started around 6:30 am on Saturday.

No pictures, it is just something I am used to so figured why take pictures, I will be seeing it almost everyday very shortly.

The snow outside looking out your windows with the fire burning, just gives you a warm toasty feeling.
Thanks Dave!!

Only thing unusual about this one was the fact that it was in October, and most of the leaves are still on the trees.

That's why all the damage.

Bear

Nice lookin wood stove Bear!  I like the antler outlet covers too!!!!
Thanks Bomber!!

Mrs Bear is an outdoor life nut----& I love her for it !!!

We got two big whitetail antler chandeliers, Moose Antler, glass top coffee table, Bear towels in one bath, Moose in another, Bear switch covers and antler outlet covers. You name it---She got it!!!!  LOL---Who am I to argue???

Bear

Man, too soon.
frown.gif
 I was raised in Texas and was used to seeing snow fall and melt immediately
biggrin.gif
,I would imagine how it would be to actually get snow on the ground , then I moved to oihO with Trish and found I hate Snow
help.gif

Goes to show you, be careful what you wish for......

just sayin'...

Good to hear from you Bear,gladyou're OK
icon14.gif

Stan   aka   oldschool
Thanks Stan!!!

Bear

Awesome photo's, I love the cooking setup there.
Thanks!

Were just cooking experiments, but it worked pretty good!

Bear

I feel bad cuz I'm still wearing shorts, t-shirts and flip flops here in cali. glad you're back.
Thanks Teez!!

I was wearing shorts & no shirt 2 days before the storm---raking rocks out of my new back yard.

Bear

noone else will do it so i guess i have to,  i think theres some snow on my beach here in the back yard too  i hate it ,   oh by the way it's down to 80 today!

the killer is hunting for it

happy smoking! 

204c8b66_11-05003.jpg

good luck with that snow brother!

and i thought 60 today was cold..................good to see ya back up and runnin'!

Definitely a Freak Snow Storm!

The rest of the winter will be less stresful

TJ

Precisely why we moved from Northern NY (50 mi above Dan McG) to Fort Worth, Texas - lived in that for 46 years, went through the Blizzards of '63 and '77 (over 15 feet of snow dumped in 24-48 hours), in '77 had my 1 stall garage buried overnight!  I feel your pain, bro' Bear, believe me!  After my back operations I couldn't deal with the snow any more, couldn't even snow-blow, we had to move, it was the best thing we ever did.Glad you're ok!  When you've been born and raised in it you just take it for granted that is the way life is; you spend the spring un-doing winter stuff (storm windows, hay around the foundation, putting air conditioner in, fixing the roof from ice dams, etc.), fall packing up for the next winter (putting storm windows back on, taking out the air conditioner, buying fresh hay bales, re-stringing FrostTex II on the roof and wrapping pipes, etc.) and your two weeks of summer going on a vacation that you take in Fla. or Tx. and wonder, "Gee, isn't it boring here being the same weather all the time?"  LOL!

These were in the Blizzard of 2004 if i remember, my sister sent them to me from Oswego NY, about halfway between me and Dan McG a little to the west, right in the snowbelt area.
Thanks Pops!!

We often get more snow than this, but never in October.

I always liked those pics---If I was young, it would look like fun!!

I couldn't move from here---Too much family & friends.

Besides that, the Army made me tired of moving---Ft Bragg, Ft Monmouth, Ft Dix, Ft Gordon, Vietnam, Hawaii, & Ft Hood---All in 3 years.

Seemed like that duffel bag strap was wearing a groove into my shoulder!!!

Bear

Gee Bear, am sorry to hear about the snow storm and power outages. 

Glad to hear you are okay though. 

Lol, I ain't seen 18" of snow since Apr. of 85. '93 and '96 were pretty heavy 

with snow but still nothing like that.

Just glad to have ya back!!!

Mike
Thank You Mike!

Bear

Glad you survived Bear. Looks like it was tough up there. My sister lives in CT. They got wacked pretty good too. That's one reason I headed south many years ago.
Thanks Scott !!

Other than the damage all over the place, it was mostly a Royal PITA !!!

Bear

wow Bear those are some pretty impressive pics.  I'm up in Rochester NY (45 min. east of Buffalo).  I was watching that storm and was glad it went south and east of us.  Way too early for that stuff espically with the leaves on the trees still.  The damage looks very bad its gonna take years for the trees to recover.  we had a ice storm in 90 or 91 that took out a ton of trees.  You can still see the damage done to the tree tops once the leaves drop.  With this warm weather we have been having I think I'm in for a long winter.  Lake Erie and Ontario are still warm wich makes for a long winter of lake effect snow until thier surface freezes over.  Glad you survived and were prepared with all the necessities.  heres to winter, which I look forward to every year,  There is nothing  more peaceful, calming and quiet than some fresh snow. I just wish it didn't last for 5 to 6 mos. lol
beercheer.gif
Thanks David !!

My older Sister, and her husband lived in Rochester for about 18 years, and raised 4 kids there.

Snow got old to her. They moved to NC. Both of her daughters moved to NC. 

One of her Sons moved to Mass, and one of them stayed in Rochester.

Bear

Looks like you got more than you share of the white stuff. But on the bright side that food looks fantastic!

Glad to have you back, my friend.

JC
Thanks JC!

Bear

Glad to hear your OK...We haven't had a dump like that around here for a few years..Yup, country boys know how to make the best out of a bad situation.

I bet your loving that stove about now, Have mine for that very reason.
Thanks Sound !!

That stove is bigger than we needed, but it sure does come in handy!

Bear

I love snowy landscape pictures like that. I cant wait until it happens here. I get excited to see a few feet of snow on the ground means I can pull out my snow machine and go for a spin. Means I can burn great smelling wood for heat and cooking on the woodstove. IF I dont want to go out and start the generator. I cheat but I have to have my speed tv. LOL

Great pics Bear I am jealous.

Lance
Thanks Lance!

I don't mind snow so much, unless it's too early, like this one was.

Bear

Ya'll thought I was kiddin', ...last night I clicked on page 2 and there are Pops blizzard pics, caught me by surprise, 'puter slowed way down, locked up and then shut off, when I rebooted up came the black screen and I chose to restart at the last know safe configuration, ...that ain't all, about 20 minutes later we lost power, ...somehow those electronic images went back through the lines and threw a breaker.

HEH, HEH, we don't do winter here.

Gene

You guys aren't gonna believe this!!!!

Just when we thought all the damage was known, my Son went out to the woods.

He finally got caught up with cleaning up the mess, so he was going to take his bow up in the tree that has his tree stand in, and wait for the 8 pointer he's been seeing.

He found out the tree with the 2' plus trunk that he had his stand chained in had come down.

It didn't ruin his stand, but he can't get it off, because the connectors are on the down side of the fallen tree.

He's going to have to chainsaw it above & below the tree-stand, so he can roll that section over, and free his stand.

LOL-----What next?!?!------At least he wasn't in it at the time!!!

Bear

Noticed the fan by that nice stove. Our power goes out all the time and we found an "ecofan" that runs off the heat of the stove. Works great getting that heat around the house. Cabela's sells a smaller version but larger ones can be found by searching for "heat powered fan" on the web.

Advise your son to take his bow out with the chainsaw to rescue his tree stand...ya just know that big buck will be around laughing at him..
781.gif

noone else will do it so i guess i have to,  i think theres some snow on my beach here in the back yard too  i hate it ,   oh by the way it's down to 80 today!

the killer is hunting for it

happy smoking! 

good luck with that snow brother!
LOL---That snow you got will never melt !!!

Killer looks like she's looking for that huge lizard!!!

The highs here have been around 60˚ just about every day since the storm.

Most of the leaves are still in the trees!!!

Bear

and i thought 60 today was cold..................good to see ya back up and runnin'!
Thanks Rob!!

Bear

Definitely a Freak Snow Storm!

The rest of the winter will be less stresful

TJ
Yup-----and I hope you're right !!

We'll be OK once the leaves are down.

Thanks Todd,

Bear

Bear i am back from Vegas to hear that you been under snow. wow i am glad you are OK.and the family too

now i know how moses crossed the red sea . it was in the winter 
biggrin.gif

dfb68448_640x480px-LL-22db0e0e_oswego3.jpg

Ya'll thought I was kiddin', ...last night I clicked on page 2 and there are Pops blizzard pics, caught me by surprise, 'puter slowed way down, locked up and then shut off, when I rebooted up came the black screen and I chose to restart at the last know safe configuration, ...that ain't all, about 20 minutes later we lost power, ...somehow those electronic images went back through the lines and threw a breaker.

HEH, HEH, we don't do winter here.

Gene
We are sorry for messing up your  warm weather set-up, Gene.

Maybe you should look into getting a "Snow Filter" for your Computer???  
biggrin.gif

Bear

Noticed the fan by that nice stove. Our power goes out all the time and we found an "ecofan" that runs off the heat of the stove. Works great getting that heat around the house. Cabela's sells a smaller version but larger ones can be found by searching for "heat powered fan" on the web.

Advise your son to take his bow out with the chainsaw to rescue his tree stand...ya just know that big buck will be around laughing at him..
781.gif
Thanks Sound!!!

Our Son got us a really good one of those ecofan things.

It works good, but then we got a new kitty, and it was very attractive to him, so we put it away.

We don't want Smokey to jump up on the stove, when the surface temp is between 200˚ and 800˚.

That is one of the reasons I have the top jammed full of water pots, so there isn't much room for him to land up there.

We had a Kitty years ago who jumped up on our old stove, when it was over 500˚.

He froze for a second, before he jumped off. 

Then for weeks, we had to shred paper for his litter box, because the kitty litter would get stuck in the blisters he had on all 4 feet.

It was so sad---I don't want that to happen to my new "Little Buddy".

And I know exactly what you mean about Bucks knowing when you aren't prepared.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky