Where to buy meat?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

potatoc

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
Durham, NC
This weekend I want to smoke my first pork butt and throw in some jerky(because I love jerky!!) Anyways, I am tired of driving around between Meijer, Walmart and the local grocery stores looking for good prices on meats. Shoud I find a local butcher??? Should I go to a Sams club??? Just looking to hear what some of ya'll do to get you meat!!! Thanks, TJ

yeap......Sam's..........i have tried the local butcher WAY higher in price.....that personal touch you know........BAH!

Wd

Sam's Club
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Sams, Wally World, Costco what have you. The thing is to be a little flexible and willing to jump on a bargin if and when you find it if you are price shopping. Setting your mind on any one cut at the wrong time can really blow your budget or make you extreamely frustrated if you can't find that perfect chunk of meat that you are looking for.

I got to tell you though, something to keep in mind when shopping for Que, you don't always need the prettiest cut there is. In fact the roots of Que kind of go back to taking the worst or most difficult cuts and cast offs and making them due. Now all of that being said, some areas just don't stock much of the Que sized or perffered cuts, so you really need to start talking to the store butchers/meat dept managers and find out what they do actually stock or more like what days the stuff comes in. (That seems to be the biggest trouble round these parts, That is there are one or two days a week that the big shipment comes in and the little that they have sells out fast)

You may have to keep shopping around until you find that favorite meat counter. My problem is that I work for a living and making it to a store during the hours that they are open is hard enough, let alone trying to make it there while the butcher is still there.

Good luck, and post pics when you do strike it rich!

we have several diff. type of stores here.......hy-vee.......fairway......dahls.......then you got walmart.......which the only meat i will buy there is ground beef..........

then sams..........

i have found with the 3 i listed.......the meat.....changes from store to store.....week to week......somtimes its good at one.....and bad at the other.......
like zapper said.......its tuff to find just that one, that will be good all the time.......

that being said.......i have yet to get a bad cut of meat from sams......amazing in my book

Wd

Que, as in, Bar-B-Que. Usually with Que, the bigger the better! So when I said Que sized I was implying like 12 lb Butts and 19 lb briskets or even the more reasonable 8lb butt and a 12 lb brisket.

true story there smoking.......

i guess i was talking more bout steaks and roasts and chops......

you are right.......here.....unless you go to a butcher and half the time you have to wait couple days before you get it........

sams only one with butts and packers

Wd

You may have to keep purchasing around until you discover that preferred various meats reverse. My issue is that I perform for a residing and creating it to a shop during the time that they are start is difficult enough, let alone trying to create it there while the grocer is still there.

seofriendly

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky