Where Do You Guys Buy Expanded Metal?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
FWIW, the post above is spot on about using the SKU to find the correct gauge metal at HD. It comes in a 24" square and is generally located by the sheet metal/welding section. You may have to search for it yourself as with all HD store help, YMMV.

I used:

Model 801427

Store SKU # 474649

Internet/Catalog # 204225784

-AA

Hi,

I realize this is an older thread, but I'm looking to build a campfire grill using expanded metal and would like some advice. Do you think going with something robust, like 9#, is it overkill? Would like something strong that can support lots of food, including possible lots of meat and/or cast iron cookware.

Here is a particular nice looking 9# 3/4 sheet that I found, but it ain't cheap:

http://www.grainger.com/product/GRA...m/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/5PAW1_AS01?$smthumb$

Also was going to build the frame out of the steel angles you can find at home depot. I presume these will be susceptible to rust, but any issues with high temperatures? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bolt-2-in-x-3-16-in-x-48-in-Plain-Angle-44810/204296088

Thanks!

Witt 

I have bought expanded metal on several occasions from Grainger . They are good to work with and very helpful. Looking at the site that you posted, I am wondering why you would want to spend the extra money to buy stainless metal. I haven't had any trouble with the plain finish. The #9 is a good strength, especially since you are going to be putting pots, etc. on it as well as meat.

Mcnichols. Google them. You'll have to call to get a price, but I cannot imagine how Grainger can compete with them.

Or.... call a local steel fabricator and ask them for a price to sell you what you want. If he says "I don't sell raw material.", then just ask him where he buys it.

Is that HD stuff safe, I.E. not galvanized or cad/chrome plated? It just says in the specs "Finish Family Silver Metallic". Ive seen it in the store and it has a shiny look to it. Im needing to build a new charcoal grate for my modded H2o smoker and want to be sure. Please advise & THANKS in advance!

ALR

I used onlinemetals.com for 3/4 expanded stainless and stainless angle used for my cooking grates. Best price over ebay etc. and fast reasonable shipping

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky