What's up Chuck !

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

capt dan

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 2, 2007
Well, its finally time to smoke a couple chuck rolls that I have been keeping in the fridge(cryo packed) for about 2 weeks. I bought them on sale( 2.28 per lb. ) the day before I went to pick up the Lang 60. They are 16.3 and 16.6 lbs each. I decided to cut each one into 3 sections. The marbling on these critters was marvelous, and I have pics of the whole rolls before the cuts or rub. I will post them tomorrow, along with various stages of cook. I rubbed them up this afternoon, so I can get up at 4-5 am and get them into the Lang by 6 am. My target goal is to have them resting in a cooler by 5-6 pm. The rub consisted of Kosher salt, ground black pepper, paprika,onion powder, garlic powder, and old bay seasoning.

to be continued!
cool.gif

Made it up early, and the chucks went into the cooker at 6 am.

Here is a pic of the 6 chunks just in and hooked up to the cable locks!

and here is what a full sized chuck roll looks like, this one was 16.60 lbs.

the temps were around 25 degrees when I fired up the Lang this morning, and it wasn't long before I got her to temp(about an hr.),loaded , snap a couple of pics,

and she purred along nicely, adding a couple splits of wood every hr or so. Here is a pic after 2 hrs and internal temps around 100-105 degrees.

It is almost ten now, and the chunks with the probes are at 142-150 internal, and I tossed a maple flavored BE and sharp cheddar fatty into the warmer/smoker closet at 9 am. Now days it seems as though I just can't do a smoke without at least 1 fatty.

To be continued!

Looks Great Dan...

Before you cut up the whole Chuck roll, is there bone in there, is this the same as a whole shoulder? Looks pretty yummy already.

The 60 should warm up quicker than an hour even when its below freezing. When you are ramping up--all doors cracked, bring her up over or above 300, and then back it off. It should be up there within 20 minutes or so if you use a brush burner or in my case, log lighter. (I am assuming your warmer ports were all closed for the start-up)

Can't wait to see more pics!!

Another Question?

That Lang cooking faster than you were used to with the old offset?

If it is, It's the convection from the reverse flow:-) If they do go up in temp faster than you thought, it won't hurt em any!!!!!

Smells good

Boy you are lucky it is cold up there. (I was wearing shorts photographing Little League games yesterday) I would be up in a "Flash" and visit.
wink.gif

Sure look good. Gotta admit, I don't think I have seen those cuts before either.

Actually steve, what I meant was"back to temp". I use a chimney full of lump on top of scrap oak kindling wood, then place 3-4 logs/splits in there with everything open, and let it roll for about 30-40 minutes, she gets up to about 400-450, and then I shut stuff down, close the firebox door, and brush down the grates, and spray em with nonstick spray. So by the time that is all done, its about an hr. before she settles in at 225-250. I am still learning, and I appreciate the advice very much.

When spring gets here, I will probably invest in a brush burner, but the system I use with the lump isn't too bad either.

and no, the chuck rolls do NOT have any bone in them.

That was a good deal for beef---make no bones about it!!!

Yes, maybe the 400 to 450 is pushing it a little if you know you want 225. I know mine will ramp to 225 real quick from 330 or so after I brush. I figure 300 to 350 as a safe cleaning/brushing or steaming temp(kills all the heebee geebies). Once it crosses 300, I brush:-) I know what you mean, I went over board once with just a few too many coals on the preheat and I remember having to wait a bit before I put my brisket on.

If you ever want to add a permanent propane system, with side burners and a loglighter, I can post what I did sometime. I also have quick disconnects so I can plug her into the house propane(to feed her) plus I can plug a gas grill into the 60's black pipe manifold system.

Looking great there Capt. When its done give me a call. I'm coming over for some great eats. LOL
Andy.

Dude, I swear you are like the" McGuyver" of cookers/smokers.
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

come on over chevypro, I may have enough for both of us!
icon_mrgreen.gif
I hope to be munchin on it before the end of the bristol race. Here is a pic at 12:30, just before foil, One of them was already in foil.

They sure do smell good. The spray/mop was Evan williams bourbon and apple juice today. All pieces were foiled at 165-160 depending on the piece, the one already foiled is at 180, It may be the "bristol snack"! I plan on resting these for at least 1 1/2 - 2 hrs. covered in a cooler( cuz my buddy Richtee said so).

I'll try to get pics of the pulled pile and the fatty before I get drinkin too much and get the "bristol wobble" going on!
icon_wink.gif

well the race was a lil boring for a bristol race, but I liked the end! Bout time some chevy's get into the winners circle.

As for the chuck, it was excellent, and it was done in 8 1/2 hrs for the first piece, 9 hrs for the following 3 pieces, another piece an hr later, and the 6th piece was 2 hrs past the first one. Just goes to show, the differences in meat cook times, off the same huge chunk of meat.

Here is a pic of the first piece done and pulled.It pulled very nice, and there was a good amount of juice in each foil, about 1/2 - 3/4 cup per piece.

I ended up with a gallon bag of meat for each of the 6 chunks. Here is a shot of the maple flavored fatty.

That is all gone, and the sammies were great, moist and tender. The first long cook on the Lang was a very good experience, and pretty easy to manage. I could have fit 3-4 more of those sized chunks in there if I needed to, without adding the 2nd shelf.

All chunks were foiled at 200-205, and rested for at least 2 hrs. some were rested for 4 hrs, and were still way too hot to touch with bare hands after the 4 hr mark.

Thanks for the interest folks and the comments. I love these chuck rolls!
icon_smile.gif

Looks great Dan. Sounds like all you do is pretty much cook em like a Butt?

Wish I could have a piece----soon---these computers will have that technology---I hope!

just like a butt cept, I inject my butts(did I say that), and I foil the butts at 175-180. I foil the chucks at 160-165. They tend to be a lil drier than pork if ya wait too long. But yeah, they are from the same part of the animal. I may try injecting the next batch, I was gonna do half of these, but couldn't find my injector and needle yesterday. I found it today, go figure!
PDT_Armataz_01_20.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky