What's the Deal With My Pecan?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nick

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Louisiana
This is the first time I'm starting a smoke with pecan. It looks like it's taking forever to get going. Is that normal? The wood is totally dry as is the smoker....It did rain earlier but everything was/is secure. I added some hickory and it seems to combust wayyyy quicker. Is this how it is with Pecan compared to Hickory?

Ken, they really seem to both be well seasoned. I threw in 2 hickory splits and bam, they took off. The Pecan is burning good too now. Maybe the Pecan is a lil bit denser than Hickory? Or maybe I'm the one that's dense! LOL . Maybe I was rushing too much knowing that it'll be 10 pm before I eat my babybacks.
Thanks!

I always use a bed of lump in my smoker and never a prob with pecan. It should be seasoned and I assume yours is. You can over do with pecan so be careful. Good Luck

TH had a point..I have a ton of pecan..if it is seasoned..it burns with the best of them, and for me normally will out last some other hard woods. sound like you have her under controll.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky