Whats the best knife

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

redbrinkman1955

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
mishawaka In.
Looking for a good knife to cut spare ribs I need a good one to use before and after the ribs are cooked. what kind does everybody else use THANKS
Good luck and Good Smoking
Redbrinkman1955

Well, I've got many knives, but my favorite is my ceramic. It's a knife made by Kyocera. It's an 8" santuko. Without a doubt, it's the best knife I've ever owned. Outside of that one, I have many Henckels. You can't go wrong with either one!

I have quite a few Henckels as well and agree that they are superb. I recently got a Wusthoff and prefer it though.

Just make sure the Henkels are the actual German made, and not their cheaper line. Pro S, 4 Star, 5 Star are all decent lines.

I've got some excellent Japanese knives my wife bought while in Japan on business but I like my $8 knife I bought at Walmart......just keep them sharp and about any knife should work.

The knives mentioned already are all great knives. I personally use mainly the henkles 4star. Global and wustoff are great knives as well. They pretty much have a blade that is comparable to each other so the main issue you may want to consider is comfort. Go pick up those knives and hold them as if you were doing some hard cutting. They all have different handles. You want to find the handle that fits your hand best. That will be the best knife for you.

I saw a kyocera ceramic knife mentioned. I wish I had one of those but I would not use it for the ribs. The ceramic can chip on the bone.
From thier website: "these sleek, ultra-sharp knives are ideal for everyday use on fruits, vegetables and boneless meats"
https://secure.kyoceraadvancedcerami...on-series.aspx

The other downfall of these knives is that typically you are not supposed to sharpen them. When sharpening is required they suggest you send the knife back to them. The upside is that they hold an edge for a long time.

Looking at japanese knives I love shun and bunmei knives. Good metal and very traditional.

I hope this helps!

A sharp one
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

i have a knife set i got at wally world for $8. it has 5 knives in it. the 8" chefs knife is the one i use for ribs; and briskets too. i use the 5" slicer for cutting the tops of japs for ABTs, and for slicing my block of cheese to stuff them with. the brand is farberware, and they have them with black handles and with brown wood handles; blades arr serrated or you can get them nonserrated. i got the black handle nonserrated set.
i have a knife sharpener i got from (guess where). cost me $5. it has carbide blades to sharpen the knives. it keeps them very sharp. i use the sharpener on my pocket knife (gerber), and it shaves easily. i plan on getting a better set of knives for the kitchen one day, but the set i have now does me good for now.
it has a 5" boning knife, a 4" paring knife, and a 8" slicing knife too. i think it is a pretty good set, as long as you keep them sharp.

I wanted to add in a sharpener that I have. Its a bit costly but the results are worth it. If you can't shave with your knives after using it you did something wrong. While working with the Ritz Carlton I used to sharpen knives for the chefs there. They kinda looked funny at the sharpener when I first pulled it out but after sharpening thier knives they didnt second guess it again.
I personally find it easier to sharpen my knives with it than a stone since all you have to do is hold the knife straight up and down and not at a specific angle. I personally am not very good at that. Don't get me wrong stones are very good for sharpening knives but I just like the ease and quality of this sharpener.
http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=77

vlap, cagstorm (member here, used to work with me) has that sharpener. he used to bring it to work. excellent sharpener. he did my pocket knife on it one night, and it was sharper then i get it on my diamond stone.

Thanks a lot for all the good choiceswant to get a good one so it will last but always need a cheap set also. Trip to wally world in my future
icon_smile.gif

Good luck and Good smoking
Redbrinkman1955

Stopped by wally world and pick up two of their knives didnt spend a bundle but didnt go real cheap either.I will use them until I can find a real good set Thanks again for all your help
GoodLuck and Good Smoking
Redbrinkman1955
smile.gif

my wife has a set of "cutco" knives. Not the most expensive but I can keep a good edge on the "butcher" knife. Has served me well for more than ten years.

It's my dream to own a full custom set of Shun blades. Alton Brown backs em so they have to be freaking bad...butt. Plus they're purdy.

But the knives I DO have are an old set of Henkles that were passed down from mom in law to the wifey. They're good but we wanted better so we've been collecting more Henkles blades of higher quality.

As far as keeping knives sharp, sharpening them only ruins the blade IMHO, instead, a proper honing will get that edge back in place. I'll explain...

As you chop stuff up with a nice sharp knife, the edge will bend ever so slightly making the blade seem to dull before your eyes. This happens more often with cheaper blades made of softer metal. The harder the metal the slower the degradation in sharpness.

My method for honing my knives is to count down from 8 to 1 alternating sides of the blade. I put the tip of my honing steel straight down on a cutting board and, using downward strokes from hilt to tip, do 8 left, 8 right, 7 left, 7 right, and so on til I get to 1. that results in a perfect honing of the knife and it will cut just like new.

Another tip on blade life preservation: use only wood or plastic cutting boards. glass and marble cutting boards are murder to a knife as they are harder than the metal of the knife. Plus they make a nasty racket if you get to chopping vigorously.

Hey, I've got a very nice Henkle chefs knife and paring knife that were not cheap. However, my favorite knife for smoking is a Forschner, serrated edge, rounded point knife. Its easy to sharpen and cuts incredibly well. In fact, I bought my Mom a henkle serrated edge knife after that, thinking it would be better, and i still prefer my forschner. I bought it at a restaurant supply store for around 20 bucks. Here's a link. http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=759 Good luck finding a knife you like. I've enjoyed my investments in good knifes.

There is no "ONE" good knife. It is with whatever you're comfortable. But one recommendation I would make is a Chinese cleaver. A one pound cleaver would be a excellent choice. If you're doing the odd bone chopping, pork or poultry, a cleaver excels at the task. Alot "pulled" pork is processed using a cleaver. You let that mass of the blade do the work for you. Stainless is the usual choice as it doesn't pick up flavours.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky