what type plywood for a smoke house?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you are concerned about plywood, why use it?  I'm going to make a 2x4 frame and cover the inside with cement board.  In the cavity of the 2x4's, I'm going to install insulation and on the outside, I'm going to use leftover siding from a pole barn.  Sure, it will be heavy, but it will be built it on it's permanent location and never moved.  I'm not wanting to build it like this because I'm concerned about plywood fumes, but because it will be more attractive, won't accidentally catch fire, and will withstand the weather much better.
Sounds to me a great way to make a permanent build----And for the right reasons.

Bearcarver

If you are using plywood, I will throw in CDX as well. The designation means grade "c" finish on one side, grade "d" finish on the other side, with (X) exterior/weather resistant grade glue binding the sheets together.  If I were to build a smokehouse, it would likely be with cement board on the inside, insulation, and some kind of painted wood on the outside.  I could keep it at smoking temperatures in the dead of winter with a burning matchstick then (okay, slight exaggeration).

I used birch ply, but then I lined it with stainless. I started out wanting a cold smoker, but a smoker that has 12 racks needs to get hot too right?

Having been a Cabinetmaker for over 20 years, I have to say "Don't let that get wet". That looks like Cabinet grade Interior Birch veneer plywood. It's not MDF, is it?? If it's MDF, don't even let humidity get to it.

Too nice a job to allow to be ruined!!

Bear

Having been a Cabinetmaker for over 20 years, I have to say "Don't let that get wet". That looks like Cabinet grade Interior Birch veneer plywood. It's not MDF, is it?? If it's MDF, don't even let humidity get to it.

Too nice a job to allow to be ruined!!

Bear
Definitely not Mdf. I stained it with an exterior stain on the outside and used a food grade caulking wherever it needed it. The seal on the door is nice and tight. After using it he first time I actually hosed it out! Held up great. I got maple syrup all over from spraying all my Indian candy, a mop just wouldn't have worked

Definitely not Mdf. I stained it with an exterior stain on the outside and used a food grade caulking wherever it needed it. The seal on the door is nice and tight. After using it he first time I actually hosed it out! Held up great. I got maple syrup all over from spraying all my Indian candy, a mop just wouldn't have worked
It'll take a few times to hurt it, but I wouldn't let it get rained on or hose it too often. No such thing as exterior Birch Veneer plywood.

Just a Tip.

Bear

BTW: Welcome to SMF.  
welcome1.gif

You should stop at Roll Call & introduce yourself, so you can be welcomed properly.

It'll take a few times to hurt it, but I wouldn't let it get rained on or hose it too often. No such thing as exterior Birch Veneer plywood.

Just a Tip.

Bear

BTW: Welcome to SMF.  :welcome1:

You should stop at Roll Call & introduce yourself, so you can be welcomed properly.

Thanks for the tip Bear! I have a feeling I'm really going to enjoy this site.

BTW, my brother (also a cabinet maker) just gave me shit for using the birch ply. I've now decided to fasten a golf umbrella to it. Maybe a second coat of stain wouldn't hurt either. It's on casters and I'd like to be able to transport it to events. A roof would be awkward. I was going to ask about heating elements. The hot plate that I used was 1500 watts but it shuts off once and a while. I could get it up to 160 but no hotter. What do you recommend? I was even thinking about going charcoal and building a separate fire box. To me maintaining the fire is half the fun.

I'll go check in now :)

Thanks for the tip Bear! I have a feeling I'm really going to enjoy this site.

BTW, my brother (also a cabinet maker) just gave me shit for using the birch ply. I've now decided to fasten a golf umbrella to it. Maybe a second coat of stain wouldn't hurt either. It's on casters and I'd like to be able to transport it to events. A roof would be awkward. I was going to ask about heating elements. The hot plate that I used was 1500 watts but it shuts off once and a while. I could get it up to 160 but no hotter. What do you recommend? I was even thinking about going charcoal and building a separate fire box. To me maintaining the fire is half the fun.

I'll go check in now :)
My expertise is Smoking with an MES, woodworking, and Chainsaw carving.

There are a lot of guys who can help you with the technical heating methods.

Use the search bar at the top for your exact questions. This Forum has the best search box on the Internet !!

Bear

For mine I used 3/4" BC plywood. No paint or caulk on the interior. Painted the exterior to protect it.

I have been running it for about 20 months and no signs of any delamination.

For mine I used 3/4" BC plywood. No paint or caulk on the interior. Painted the exterior to protect it.

I have been running it for about 20 months and no signs of any delamination.
BC plywood?   What is that?

BC is finished (sanded) on one side and rough finish on the other side ... they also have AC .. which is finished on both sides... but of course the price goes up with each one ...

Are you sure you want to use plywood? It's not intended for uses related to food. That crap can give of fumes of VOCs (volatile organic compounds) regardless of the temperature. The main VOC of concern in most plywood is formaldehyde. That's not something I'd want near my food. Use real wood or something else that's inert.

Just sayin'......

~Martin

Are you sure you want to use plywood? It's not intended for uses related to food. That crap can give of fumes of VOCs (volatile organic compounds) regardless of the temperature. The main VOC of concern in most plywood is formaldehyde. That's not something I'd want near my food. Use real wood or something else that's inert.

Just sayin'......

~Martin
That's why I ended up lining it with stainless. I lost a bit of sleep thinking about it.

if i used partical board and lined it with aluminum flashing would that be ok ?
Particle board if FULL of chemicals....   I would not use it...    Use tongue and groove pine ......  After a break in period, the pine smell is gone and the wood is covered in smoke residue... 

Joshua Brede's smoke house...

...click on pic to enlarge.....

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky