What size exhaust

Discussion in 'Propane Smokers' started by griz, Nov 3, 2007.

1. griz

griz Fire Starter

I started this thread in the wood forum as I had planned on going the wood route. During the freezer build, I decided that installing a propane burner would be too easy to do. So, I installed it. The burner is a small burner from a table top grill. When I have it set on low, my temps stay a steady 290 degree's.

My exhaust vent is 3 inches. How big should I go to help get my temps down by 60 degree's? I don't want the exhaust so big that I lose my smoke etc.

Thanks!

Bob

2. mossymo

mossymo Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

If you go larger with your exhaust you can always adjust the opening to fine tune your temperature with a baffle, as simple as using aluminum foil to abstruct part of the exhaust opening.

I do not know where you live but remember temperatures will be dropping as winter closes in on us.

Another thought on lowering your temperature without changing your exhaust is the add a regulator on your propane gas line to lower the amount of propane reaching your burner.

3. monty

monty Master of the Pit Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

How big are your intake vents?

I would go with a larger exhaust and several intake vents. The intake vents should be adjustable.

From there it will be trial and error. Let us know what you find out!

Cheers!

4. griz

griz Fire Starter

Well, I increased the exhaust hole from 3 inches to 6 inches and boy, what a difference it made!! After running for a solid hour my temps remained a steady 233 degree's! Just about perfect!

I think it's time to get my shelving installed so I truly see what kind of results I get with this!

Griz

5. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

What no pictures of this new smoker? [​IMG]